Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Draven my 8 month old doberman is a wonderful pup. Loyal and full of happiness and love. I have one problem, he is still peeing in his cage. Ive had him checkee for infections and he did have a UTI a few months ago and it was treated with antibiotics. My husband and I can take him out right before he is put up and he pees several times and then he is crated while we are out. I do not work so i am home all the time, but if we have to run an errand he pees as soon as we put him in his cage. he can hold it through the night we put him in bed around midnight or later and we let him out at 7am and then again when we get up at around 9 or 10. he can hold it till 7am but when hes in there from 7-9 or so he pees. This is so frustrating. his cage isnt to big for him its the right size and i dont give him water after 7pm, unless he plays hard and i give him a little.

he is completley house trained wont have an accident in the house at all. so i am confused as to why he is doing this. Please help, any advice would be great.

This is Draven and he weighs 80lbs. Sorry his nose is a little dirty he was playin outside. lol

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Did you have him checked to see if the UTI returned?

If a dog suddenly displays a behavior that isn't the norm for them, then something is usually wrong. I would have him checked for another UTI.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I would also take him to the vet to check for other problems.

Also, is the crate covered at all? Try covering the crate by putting a blanket or cardboard over the sides or switching to a plastic crate, I've heard of a few dogs doing this and it seems to help as they dont pee through the bars.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hope everything works out! Also, I'm not sure if it's just the picture but his nails look like they could use a trim!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I agree, he should be checked out by a vet...

Did you replace his bedding since his first UTI? If not, did you clean it with a cleaner specifically designed to remove urine odors? If not, I would also take care of that.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Know he had a UTI earlier but sometimes one antibiotic does not get rid of it the vet sometimes needs to try a different antibiotic. Have you scrubbed the crate with a enzyme that is made to remove all pet odors,like Nature's miracle. Sometimes they will pee because they smell their own pee in the crate.Yes I agree a vet trip is in order Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Some dogs have anatomy that encourages UTI's. When he had one a few months ago, did the vet do a follow up urinalysis after the antibiotics? If not, he may have had that URI all along, and now symptoms are popping up again. Try and allow him to have fresh clean water 24/7 since he presented with an infection, to help prevent more popping up.

Hope he feels better soon, having one is miserable!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Draven my 8 month old doberman is a wonderful pup. Loyal and full of happiness and love. I have one problem, he is still peeing in his cage. Ive had him checkee for infections and he did have a UTI a few months ago and it was treated with antibiotics. My husband and I can take him out right before he is put up and he pees several times and then he is crated while we are out. I do not work so i am home all the time, but if we have to run an errand he pees as soon as we put him in his cage. he can hold it through the night we put him in bed around midnight or later and we let him out at 7am and then again when we get up at around 9 or 10. he can hold it till 7am but when hes in there from 7-9 or so he pees. This is so frustrating. his cage isnt to big for him its the right size and i dont give him water after 7pm, unless he plays hard and i give him a little.

he is completley house trained wont have an accident in the house at all. so i am confused as to why he is doing this. Please help, any advice would be great.

This is Draven and he weighs 80lbs. Sorry his nose is a little dirty he was playin outside. lol

If, he does not have a UTI I believe he is telling you the only way he knows how that he does not want to be caged.

He is caged from Midnight to 7am then let out and caged again till 9/10am that is a long time for young Dobe male who is good sized weighing 80 lbs. Whatever the size the cage is it is still a cage. Not too big for him sounds as though there is not much room. How much exercise does he get.

You said he is completely housetrained is there a reason he is not loose or he could be closed in a room i.e., the kitchen when you are gone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts