Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

8 month old female weight issues!

7K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  SoCalDobe 
#1 ·
I currently have a 8 month old female doberman who is gorgeous absolutely stunning but she is only 40 pounds (20 kilos) what can i do to get her a bit more heavier but not fat she is too skinny now and looks like a greyhound and i dont like it she currently eats royal canin maxi juniour she has been on this since 3 months old and she loves it also she seems a bit short is she gonna have a growth spurt or is she at adult height because her parents were monsters they were ridiculously tall her mother being 28" and her father being 27":confused:

#4 ·
Wait a minute. She's a growing pup who has LOST 8 kg/17 lbs. and your vet's not concerned???

How much are you feeding? Does she finish it all, or walk away leaving some? Would she eat more if you gave it to her? How about high-calorie topping on her food... handful of fatty raw ground meat, an egg, half a can of salmon, etc.? A switch to a more nutrient-dense food? Or, have you tried all sorts of stuff to encourage her to eat, and maybe created a picky monster ("If I turn this down, somebody will make it even BETTER!")? Is she given a quiet area free of distraction in which to eat?

Can you post pictures of her from the side and from above?

If my pup lost more than a quarter of her body weight, I would be very concerned, indeed!

#5 ·
Dont get me wrong we are both concerned she still has an apetite though i could give her the whole 15kg bag and she will eat it all we ran some blood tests and the results are fine i got them today so its definitely stress from her new surroundings and yes she is a very picky monster wont eat any food except this one tried about 4 other brands and she did not eat them i feed her twice daily morning and night she eats 2.5 cups as the vet said so in total she eats 5 cups with a bit of shredded cheese on top and sometimes yoghurt ad she gets a big bone every now and then also she gets biscuits and treats every day also she gets a denture stick in the morning :) Is it safe to give her a raw egg? i will post some photos on this thread here :)

#7 ·
My second male was hard to keep weight on from about 11mths to 3yrs. He was an entire and extremely active (lots of free running). I was feeding him 8 cups of eukanubra performance a day and he was still only 32kgs at 27 1/2 " . Part of the issue was that he was so active, and part was that he was entire. However, he was extremely healthy and the vet wasn't concerned. The only way I could keep some weight on him was to add a chicken frame/back 3 times a week. (sometimes more if he had an extremely active week).

Desexing can help if she's not already spayed, but I would consider feeding her more if her metabolism needs it. They do go through a little growth spurt around the 8mth mark....so it could be partly that too, but might also be worth getting a full thyroid test done if you haven't already.

#11 ·
Hi

We have a 14 month old that stopped growing at 11 months. She was growing up really well and weighing in at 28 kilo at 9 months old but after we moved home she stopped. She is now 26 kilo and will not put on anymore weight or size. She is eating 4 to 5 cups a day and wont eat anymore if shes offered it. She has been checked by the vet and found to be in good health.

Her parents are big dogs and her father was a Russian champion and huge.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

#9 ·
My vet gave me the measurement for her food so it cant be that its not enough but i started today increasing her food from 5 cups a day to 6 hopefully she beefs up a biti also kind of need to stick on the royal because its the only good quality food i can get being on a island and all its royal canin or purina and belcando and eukanuba what food do you recommend out of these brands

#10 ·
Hi

Did you get the weight issue sorted out with your dog? We have a 14 month old that stopped growing at 11 months. She was growing up really well and weighing in at 28 kilo at 9 months old but after we moved home she stopped. She is now 26 kilo and will not put on anymore weight or size. She is eating 4 to 5 cups a day and wont eat anymore if shes offered it. She has been checked by the vet and found to be in good health.

Her parents are big dogs and her father was a Russian champion and huge.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

#13 ·
Hot weather can put them off their food. Does it cool down in the evenings? Could feeding her very early in the morning and very late at night make a difference? (although I suspect it just stays hot and muggy all the time in Thailand at this time of year).

another thought, if you are feeding her kibble, and this being the wet season, could the humidity be affecting the food and making it smell musty to her? ) ...sometimes lateral stuff like changing the food , giving an extra worming, feeding at different times can make a difference.

#14 ·
My 11 month old female just weighed in today at the vet. She's 94 pounds. 100% muscle. She was a big puppy. She has weighed more than my Akita when my Akita was that young. At 10 weeks old, she was 20 pounds! Her vet wants her to maintain her weight, but says she is in perfect health & is fine at her size.

#16 ·
Welcome to DT.

I'm curious as to why you bumped a thread that's more than two years old, to brag about how big your puppy is? :confused:

#18 ·
The OP, to whom you just replied, started this thread 6-15-2012, and hasn't been on the forum since 11-26-2012 .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.