Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still have this issue, no matter if she goes before coming inside or visits, she just can't control herself. Any suggests? Thank you

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
How are you handling it? Are you correcting her verbally or physically? Generally the best way to handle this is to totally ignore it happening as if it didn't. Then it will go away. If you are acknowledging it in any way, it generally makes it stick around and get worse.

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I would go further than to say just ignore it... I would ignore HER. On your returns home or upon the arrival of guests, she should not be greeted, people should not meet her eyes, people should not speak to her excitedly, people should not bend over the top of her to reach down and pet her. After she has calmed a little, she can be greeted quietly and calmly. To pet her, folks should squat down with their backs erect and not bend over her and into her space. Any "high" emotion is liable to trigger submissive urination... excited, angry, anything loud.

I would also have her tested for a urinary tract infection. Often, this is a factor in submissive urination which persists... even a very slight infection may make it too difficult to control urination.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Sometimes it doesn't go away. USUALLY it does go away. I agree with ignoring her and not correcting. Just clean it up. Try to have greeting outside in case she piddles. I have a tinkler and he's 3 (but not a Dobe and more common in Vizslas). He's gotten way beter than when he was a puppy. When I get home from work, I am around him but do not PET him or interact for 5-6 minutes. I don't lean over him either. He actually likes to stand on the back of the couch which is perfect for this situation (and it's covered!) but then I'm not reaching over him at all.

And I also agree to have the UTI checked out. I was sure my boy didn't have one since he didn't have the clinical signs and by the time I had it checked at 10 months it was pretty bad (BAD MOM)

·
Diamond Dobermans
25 Posts
I have too seen this problem before in pitbull/shar pei mix that would urinate when being greeted or when it was scared by a loud noise or something, the problem was ignored and the then puppy still continues to do so, and the dog is now almost 3 years old. This was my roomates dog so I saw it first hand.

My doberman now when she was a puppy for the first month I had her this had happened a few times in the morning when she would go out and once when I came home, I scolded her and it went away almost immediately. I had read in a doberman training book that due to the doberman loyalty they tend to listen to there master/handlers request obediently, now Bella is almost 5 months and she is fully potty trained and has not had an accident in weeks, she did have one because she did not want to go to the bathroom in the hail storm though I did take her out. good luck with your pup

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
My German Shepherd bitch who is 2 and half years old had a major problem with urinating when excited. At first we used to make a deal of taking her outside whilst i cleaned up and everything. That didn't work soi started telling people, no matter who they were, DO NOT GREET THE DOG! That meant my stepson, hubby, myself and friends couldn't fuss her. If that tail was waggling. She was too excited for a fuss. Once she had calmed down i used to bring her to them rather than take them to her. So she couldn't get excited all over again. Also i would clean up the mess whilst she watched, wouldn't put her outside, because she wasn't peeing due to needing it, she was peeing because she was super excited. I wouldn't correct the behaviour or anything. It would be like i had spilt something on the floor.

I didn't want visitors coming and her peeing because she was frightened that she was gonna get told off for visitors coming. Dogs minds work in strange ways...

The way we did deal with her visitor peeing has worked and she only has does 1 out 10 times now instead of every time. Our method has also stopped her jumping up when we get visitors and she had more respect for humans and their personal space. She now understands visitors dont need a big fluffy german shepherd knocking them over.

Just remember though when changing her habit that it isn't gonna be over and done with after a week or a month. It's something you will have to keep doing because as soon as shes allowed to get overly excited again she will start peeing again!

Good luck :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts