Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8mo old blue doberman, Maynard, sometimes vomits early morning when he first wakes up. He has had no diet changes, and it only happens some mornings (about 6 times total starting ~3 mos ago, usually 2-3 vomit spots). He eats Nutro Max brand dog food, never any problems.
A lot of times, nothing comes up but bile or a dark brown (looks like dirt) liquid. this morning there was a lot of chunks in the first pile, and 3 other dark dirty looking liquid spots - nothing solid. but he ate dinner at 530pm and vomited around 630am, so i dont know how that first pile wasnt digested yet?
He usually goes right back to sleep til i wake up (about 7), and happily runs outside and scarfs down breakfast.
Is this just a little anxiety when he wakes up and its not time to actually wake up yet? or just eating dirt at night before bed and waking up w/ a sour stomach? He shows absolutely NO other signs of distress, very playful and always hungry, up to date on all shots and rabies and de-worming.

any suggestions/advice/comments would be great!

·
SmellyPirateCootieQueen
1,829 Posts
Have you been to a vet yet?

It sounds like he could just be suffering from an empty tummy. Rowdy used to vomit first thing in the AM, too - then I started feeding him a little bedtime snack and it ended. You might want to take him to a vet just to rule anything else out, but trying feeding him a little something before bed. Good luck.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've had several Doberman in the past who would vomit bile in the morning if they weren't fed right away. My husband started giving them a piece of bread or a handful of biscuits first thing in the morning and the problem went away completely.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Jack went through something similar when he was about Maynard's age. He found little sticks absolutely irresistible. Loved to chew them and swallow the bits.

The link was very easy to make. If he ate a stick, we knew that he would hork up the bits, along with bile, early the next morning. So we became vigilant about forbidding stick chewing. He, of course, responded by becoming lightning fast at gulping them down. If speed stick-eating were a sport, he would have been a champion.

At the time, he was also experiencing gastro issues. We experimented with a number of different foods before settling on Acana Grasslands. It may be coincidence, but clearing up the gastro issues and switching to this food reduced the stick eating. I don't know for sure, but I figured that eating sticks may have been his way of trying to settle his sour tummy.

If your guy is eating dirt, it may be because of something similar. You may want to consult your vet -- or try switching foods -- or both.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The early morning puking used to happen to my girl as a puppy. A good solution was to give her 3 meals a day 7am,3pm, 8pm. That stopped her early morning pukes immediately.
She got 3 meals until she was about 1 year old. Now she gets 2 meals and a late snack.
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts