Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Woof!
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Long-time stalker, first time poster here. <3 About 5 mos ago I adopted a Doberman/Rottweiler mix puppy by the name of Dante. He's been a peach to train so far (if with a little bit of an attitude!) but I have a question about his most perplexing and often annoying behavior: his constant crying for attention!

It seems like he's always whining; I assume it's for attention, as he knows to scratch at the back door if he has to go outside. He'll follow me into a room and cry for a bit, and then walk away, only to come back a few minutes later to cry again, almost as if he's anxious. How can I stop this behavior? As much as I love to play with him and pet him, I can't do it 24/7, nor do I want to indulge him when he cries and create a dog who can't be alone. Right now I have a roommate who is home all the time to watch him, but I work full time and eventually he'll have to be home alone for awhile on weekdays. Is this separation anxiety, even though I'm right there? Any advice would be appreciated :]

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
First, rule out anything health wise. Being anxious, whining, pacing are signs of discomfort. When was his last physical? What did his blood and stool suggest?

Once that is clear, let's look at physical exercise. How much does he get? When? What's his training like?

Lastly, if nothing else works, I suggest a behaviorist :)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I agree to rule out any medical issues first. Then, look at this exercise routine. Are his needs being met with physical/mental daily exercise?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts