Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend and I just got a 7month old blue doberman yesterday. The old owners where getting rid of her because they didnt have the time for her. So with that said she has never been trained properly. She is potty trained ...but i didnt know if anyone had any tips for us for everything else. She seem very nervous which im sure is due to here changing homes. She also eats so fast as if she is starving its like she isnt even chewing the food. Is this normal??:confused: Another problem im having is she is scared of my bf. She seems very afraid of men. Im hoping she can overcome this with our training and love. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
You can start to build her confidence with teaching her some obedience. Sit, down, stay, come. Then reward like crazy. Your BF can reward her with treats and a calm and friendly voice and demeanor. You can get a bowl that helps her slow down in her eating. There are other thread on this site about what they are called.

Lots of TLC. Make sure she has a bed or crate that is hers, that she can go to in her new house....to make her feel more safe and at home.

Good luck. You have more then enough people on this site who know all about rescue.
Way more then me!

They'll be able to give you tons of tips and ideas. Search a few threads on this site.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I think it is also recommended that you not flood her withi stimuli the first 2 weeks. No intense training for the first 2 weeks. It will be time well spent since it can help with the bonding. You can try hand feeding her kibble. I remember someone suggesting having the new dog tethered to you eg on a leash that is connected to your belt...but I don't have any experience with that. I am sure others will have suggestions.
Thank you for giving her a better home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she does have her own crate which she does seem very secure in. She is very clingy to me though. She follows me everywhere and she slept right by myside of the bed lastnight. Im hoping with time she will settle in :) She is a very sweet dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know where the forums are located for rescue info? Or the title of them. Im new to this site and im having a hard time finding the information im looking for under the rescue tab. Thanks :)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I'd give her some time to settle in. I would not force the BF on her at this moment. Then I'd find a good positive trainer to show you some simple desensitizing steps for her and BF and other men.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
I second what Adara recommends. Let her settle in, don't put any pressure on her to interact with you. Just let her observe and chill out for a couple of weeks. I'd recommend a crate for her as a safe place where she can be and know she won't be disturbed. You can make her crate a wonderful place for her by giving her things like stuffed Kongs, bully sticks, raw bones, and other delicious things she can eat in there.

I would also be looking for a good, gentle trainer to help you work with her. That might be starting out with an in-home consult and progressing to a group class. I recommend people start their trainer search here: Search for Professionals

1 - 9 of 9 Posts