Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 7 month old dobe, we got 2 weeks ago- He is a great dog with champion european bloodlines. He is black/rust.
We are having a hard time acclimating him with our 9 year old indoor/outdoor cat. The cat wants nothing to do with him and we are having a hard time getting him to ignore the cat. :(
Please pm me if interested in more details.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
We have a 7 month old dobe, we got 2 weeks ago- He is a great dog with champion european bloodlines. He is black/rust.
We are having a hard time acclimating him with our 9 year old indoor/outdoor cat. The cat wants nothing to do with him and we are having a hard time getting him to ignore the cat. :(
2 Weeks is not long enough time for him to learn that the cat is not his play toy! Please don't give up on this boy after only 2 weeks. 1 or 2 good swats from the cat he will get the picture. Where did you get this boy from, do you know any of his background?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
He's a good looking boy! I would say its important that the cat has a space to get away from the dog, and slowly slowly they should be able to get used to each other. I would say you're looking at months rather than weeks :)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
A puppy not acclimated to your home (it's only been 2 weeks) is harrassing your cat. There are several techniques that you can employ to condition this behavior. Lots of easy tricks, it's not even real training. Short cuts, even. Shake cans, squirt guns etc. give the cat a safe place to go and (supervised) let it defend itself.

Where is the dog from? What were the circumstances of obtaining him? Is this in the Rescue section b/c he was a rescue, or are you asking people to PM you if they want to "rescue" your puppy?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It took my Dobe 6 months before she would ignore my son's min-pin. After about 6 months, I could leave them both free in the house alone.
Don't give up. It'll take time and be sure your cat has some good places to jump to.

Your dog is very handsome!

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
Keep the cat safe and keep rewarding your puppy when he ignores the cat. Cute guy you have - spend lots of time training him and you'll end up with a very well-mannered adult. Have you signed up for a basic obedience class? That is a GREAT way to bond with your dog. Also, training tires out an active pup just like physical exercise so frequent short (10 minutes) training sessions will help drain some of that enormous Doberman energy.

Hope you'll post more photos soon!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Interested in more details to help you through this situation...or to rehome him? :(

Two weeks is not enough time. My dog was brought into a home with 6 cats (not my part of the house), and he was never told to 'leave it' in his previous home. It was frustrating at times, Chase was even kept on a leash at times. It took him roughly 4 months to calm down and ignore the cats. Now he cant get enough of one cat who likes to wash his muzzle :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doberman Puppy

We are interested in adopting/rescueing a young doberman. We put down our 9 year old doberman after a strong fight with lung cancer in May 2011. We adopted him when he was 8 months old. We had him for 8 great years. Please contact me at 917-747-3865 or [email protected]. We are excited to offer another doberman a forever home.

Thank you,
Todd

·
Registered
716 Posts
Are you looking to rehome him???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts