Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Doberman baby and I had her ears cropped and the vet posted the ears for me and the posts stayed in for about a day while she recovered but once she was up and running she hated the posts. She would shake her head until they popped out on the ends. I’d try reposting but the bottoms of her ear became irritated and I hated seeing her uncomfortable so I eventually gave up. They were straight for the most part, especially when alert. She’s 7 months now and they’ve begun falling at the tips. The top 1/4 of the ear bends even when fully alert. I need to post her without irritating her but I haven’t found a good method. I tried tampons, backer rod, popsicle sticks which my vet used. She just hates anything in her ear. Can her ears still be straight even though she’s already 7 months?
PHP:
[PHP]
[/PHP]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here’s a pic of her when she’s normal and not alert. (hope I inserted photo right) First pic is her and my other baby Kylo waiting for a treat. When a stranger comes over or she’s hears things around the house they shoot straight up but recently they don’t get like they used to so I’m scared they’ll droop more and more :(

·
Super Moderator
15,470 Posts
Your photo still is not showing. If you can try uploading it to a site like imgur or flickr and share a link to the image.

·
Super Moderator
15,470 Posts
It seems like the ears bases are strong but it's a little hard to tell from the photo. The picture viewed from the front her ears appear to be in "airplane mode" so that doesn't paint a great picture. Do you have a photo of how you were posting the ears?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
From the look of the picture of her (only one showed up that was of her) I'd say that those ears aren't going to get better and could well get worse if you don't post them. Even if you do the still might not ever really stand properly.

Here's a tip for the next time you try posting ears. If a puppy shakes its head and it is persistent about it and they always manage to shake the posts out something is wrong with your posting (and/or the vets posting)--if the post is put in and is all the way down in the base and properly taped it is nearly impossible for a puppy to shake posts out and tey stop even trying quite quickly because it doesn't work. Most dogs who are popping posts out are doing so because the post isn't all the way down in the base--it feels weird so they shake their head--the post moves in the ears and feels even stranger--puppy continues to shake--then you think this is happening because your puppy "doesn't like anything in their ear"--when it has more to do with posting that isn't being done quite correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts