Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask anyone out there if they've ever had a problem with their dobie and disk's. My 6yr old male dobie has 2 disks in his back/spine. has anyone else had this problem and what have you done about it, and has your dobie been the same since?
appreciate any advice.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I wanted to ask anyone out there if they've ever had a problem with their dobie and disk's. My 6yr old male dobie has 2 disks in his back/spine. has anyone else had this problem and what have you done about it, and has your dobie been the same since?
appreciate any advice.
What's wrong with the discs? Are they herniated? Or is this ivdd?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what ivdd is, but the vet took an xray and said he has 2 disks. he showed me where the normal parts have spacing, but 2 of them are narrowed, not a lot of space between the disks.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
IVDD.............Intervertebral disc disease. IVDD Disc Disease Fast Facts

Now this link is about narrowing of the space betweed the discs in humans, but is a very interesting read.

"Disc Space Narrowing or Degenerative Disc Spacing is the result of loss of protien polysaccharides in the disk, decreasing the water content of the nucleus pulposus. A healthy intervertebral disc has a great deal of water in the nucleus pulposus (the center portion of the disc). The water content gives the nucleus a spongy quality and allows it to absorb spinal stress. Loss of water content causes the discs to lose some of their ability to act as cushions. As the nucleus pulposus loses its water content, it collapses. Without the cushion effect of the discs, the vertebrae in the spine would not be able to absorb stresses or provide the movement needed to bend and twist. This results in a narrowing of the disc space between the two vertebrae."

http://spinwarp.ucsd.edu/neuroweb/Text/sp-700.htm

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I don't know what ivdd is, but the vet took an xray and said he has 2 disks. he showed me where the normal parts have spacing, but 2 of them are narrowed, not a lot of space between the disks.
Did he happen to tell you what number discs they are? ivdd/wobblers typically affects discs 5, 6 and 7.

I had a dog that had this. It's generally thought that xrays are not definitive enough to diagnose...we did an MRI. I do not recommend the myelogram.

My dog was older when diagnosed and already had heart problems so he was not a candidate for surgical intervention. He was treated with steroids, pain meds and extremely strict crate rest. He did recover and lived a relatively normal life with some activity restrictions. He never did get over the ataxic gait though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts