Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm "rescuing/adopting" a 6mo old dobe-baby from a soon to be deployed soldier. He is cropped and docked, but the ears aren't standing all of the time. Only when alert or excited. Soldier dobe-daddy says he just stopped posting about two weeks ago. Is it too late to save the crop? Can I repost and hope for the best? He still is teething and has baby teeth...? What should I do, if anything?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Absolutely you can still post. Some people post well after a year. Doesn't hurt to repost! That being said... Dobe ears don't stand 100% of the time. Just a heads up! Sometimes they have what we call airplane ears and sweet ears where they hold them down and out to the side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

So as soon as we get him Saturday, repost and keep them posted for how long? He's my second Dobe, but we opted to stay natural with the first one...I need all the help and advice I can get. I DID read the tutorial and think I can handle it..I am a former vet tech, and those skills will help me out a lot. Also, should I take him to my vet on Monday and have him do the first initial "re-post?" Obviously he will need to see my vet soon anyway, even though hes UTD on everything.

Thanks ~B

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
So as soon as we get him Saturday, repost and keep them posted for how long? He's my second Dobe, but we opted to stay natural with the first one...I need all the help and advice I can get. I DID read the tutorial and think I can handle it..I am a former vet tech, and those skills will help me out a lot. Also, should I take him to my vet on Monday and have him do the first initial "re-post?" Obviously he will need to see my vet soon anyway, even though hes UTD on everything.

Thanks ~B
Welcome to DT, and thanks for giving a home to a Doberman in need of one.

I would see if you can either manage on your own, or find a reputable breeder nearby who can help you--many vets do not know how to properly tape/post ears, not something they really teach in vet school, and unless you find a vet who has some continuing education credits, and/or is very breed savvy, you will likely do a better job on your own, at home.

No offense to the vets--I'd certainly not try to swap out surgery skills with them ;)

Pics of your new boy, when you get him, appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome to DT, and thanks for giving a home to a Doberman in need of one.

I would see if you can either manage on your own, or find a reputable breeder nearby who can help you--many vets do not know how to properly tape/post ears, not something they really teach in vet school, and unless you find a vet who has some continuing education credits, and/or is very breed savvy, you will likely do a better job on your own, at home.

No offense to the vets--I'd certainly not try to swap out surgery skills with them ;)

Pics of your new boy, when you get him, appreciated.
I agree, not many vets can post ears, I have seen this first hand. I ripped Anubis' out the first day his vet put them in. Best posting tutorial I have ever seen is on the site.
http://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...ting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys have an opinion on my odds? Or have you had any experience with an "only stands when alert" ear situation? I may be at risk of sounding dumb here, but if they stand at all that's a good thing, right? I guess what I'm asking is an objective opinion of what kind of situation i'm looking at here...like, what are my odds of saving this crop from being a waste of time and money. As far as reputable breeders in my area, there are none that I could find. I had to travel far and wide to get our last puppy. :p

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm "rescuing/adopting" a 6mo old dobe-baby from a soon to be deployed soldier. He is cropped and docked, but the ears aren't standing all of the time. Only when alert or excited. Soldier dobe-daddy says he just stopped posting about two weeks ago. Is it too late to save the crop? Can I repost and hope for the best? He still is teething and has baby teeth...? What should I do, if anything?
I think you can easily save his crop especially since it hadn't been all that long since the guy stopped posting. The initial dropping of his ears now may set you back a little but I think you'd get them up after a few months --that being said no one can tell you or predict what will happen.

I'm still posting at almost 1 year and I won't be giving up until my boy is 2. Some others on this forum have posted until a year and a half, others longer (all with success). So you wouldn't be alone on long posting :)

And I would just follow the dobermantalk thread on posting. We have seen a lot of people come on here with posting done by vets, But they typically look bulky, awkward and sometimes just wrong (no offence to any vets lol). Unless they have a specific history of posting I think you'd be better off yourself. The first two times your pop may have some awkward looking posts but as you get used to it you'll realize its really easy and you get more confident with your posts, they will look better ... Practice makes perfect! ;)

Good luck and thank you for adopting!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
15,483 Posts
Well cropped ears don't stand all of the time, they are laid back a lot. What do they look like when they do stand though? Do they tip inwards at the base of his head or look weak half way to the top?

ETA just looking at the pictures now and everything looks normal to me. The ear crop isn't a show crop but they stand up fine. He's a handsome pup and I'm glad he's found a new home that will have the time for him. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Do you guys have an opinion on my odds? Or have you had any experience with an "only stands when alert" ear situation? I may be at risk of sounding dumb here, but if they stand at all that's a good thing, right? I guess what I'm asking is an objective opinion of what kind of situation i'm looking at here...like, what are my odds of saving this crop from being a waste of time and money. As far as reputable breeders in my area, there are none that I could find. I had to travel far and wide to get our last puppy. :p
I would say yes, the fact that they are standing at all is a very good thing, and also, if they were only down for 2 weeks, that is not that long.

I would be very diligent about posting them as you move forward. Only let them down for a very short period in between postings - basically long enough for them to air out - and then immediately re-post. When my girl was a puppy, I would usually only leave them un-posted for 15 min or so in between postings. The key is you want to keep them up in posts as much as possible and avoid any opportunity for them to fall. This of course is assuming you have no issues, no infections, etc, that require them to be out of posts. You could end up having to post them for several more months. Like others have said, sometimes ears have to even be posted after 12 months of age.

Good luck and congratulations on your handsome new pup!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
He's really cute, looks like a baby horse when they get to the awkward growing stage :p

I agree that it looks like his ears have a good chance of standing, just be diligent.

·
Super Moderator
21,739 Posts
Post them up! In that first picture you posted, the ears are flopped. That's not a natural, relaxed position of cropped ears but rather cropped ears that aren't done. They look pretty good in that second photo, and he's young; it's definitely not too late!

Take a read through this thread and see if you can find any members that would be willing to help you learn how to post. http://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...ll-help-new-owners-ears-please-post-here.html

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I agree with others, if they have only been down 2 weeks and he isn't even done teething yet, you have a good shot of getting them to stand. I know you asked odds, but no one could tell you that. It has a lot to do with the actual crop, heredity/ear cartilage, etc. but I would bet well above 50/50.

Thanks ~B
You should keep them posted for about 3-5 days at a time and then change them. That way you can see if there are any pockets forming, infections, etc. Like someone above said, only let them down briefly, long enough to clean, air dry and back up they go. You might have to post longer due to the stop, but most puppies aren't done until after teething anyway.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Just looking at your dog names it appears as though you have 3 males dogs? Correct me if I'm wrong. Dobermans are highly prone to same sex aggression. We've even borne witness on this forum to deaths of dogs in the same family (not the dobe) because of this issue. PLEASE read up and rethink whether having 3 males is a good idea. Your dobe pup may be super sweet now but that could change in an instant when he hits maturity.

SSA is not something that can be neutered or trained out. It's genetic hardwiring.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/dt-educational-archive/10315-male-male-aggression.html

·
_______
5,102 Posts
After not being posted for a couple weeks just a heads up he might not be too thrilled going back to the regimen.

Our boy was about the same age when we thought we were done but went back to posting several more weeks after they began to wilt into "banana "ears.

Keep posting- nice of you to help a serviceman out.

Please heed the same sex aggression issue- there are lots of discussions here on that topic. Very serious.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
I successfully fixed the ear (just one) on a 13 mth male. His ear flopped down a lot (not broken) and I got it balanced with the other one with a couple of months of remedial posting. His sister had been ripping his posts out and even then he was 100% cooperative and didn't given me any trouble at all.

I always use oil to remove the tape - pour a bunch of oil over the post and leave it for several minutes before I start to take down a post. Then I still use oil to remove the adhesive as I pull back the tape. Other people use Unisolve with great results. Be gentle and there is no reason not to keep up the posting and be successful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so our boy has arrived. His ears are VERY soft...I'm not sure if they are 'broken'..I just don't know what's going on with this dude. They don't stand at all, not even when alert really. I tried posting them today and didn't do a good job, they were down in a matter of an hour. I'm thinking I didn't put them deep enough? Also, should I start the glucosamine regimen once I get them posted successfully? Gosh, I wish I had one of you guys to help me. My vet wants to see him Monday so I'm thinking I'll just let him post him for now. It's better than nothing, right? Should I give up if they won't stand at all? If they are soft? HELP! ...as for the same sex aggression, I guess I'll just keep an eye out for signs and signals. He WILL be getting neutered ASAP, but some say that doesn't make any difference. :p

·
Shark Wrangler
1,089 Posts
as for the same sex aggression, I guess I'll just keep an eye out for signs and signals. He WILL be getting neutered ASAP, but some say that doesn't make any difference. :p
It DOES NOT make a difference, neutering has nothing to do with SSA unfortunately. Keeping an eye out for signs could prove impossible, and disastrous also. In many cases they can go from fine to full blown awful fighting with no real signs. Not a chance I would ever be willing to take but to each their own I guess...If the younger two are the ages it says on your profile (16 mo, and 6 mo) you could very well get lulled into a false sense of security as they are both still puppies, and SSA usually begins closer to maturity (around 2 yrs old).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts