Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally found healthy pup but she is 6 months old.
Let's say she wasn't introduced to many other animals, people and not trained will this pup be to difficult to handle? (this is just a assumption on my part)
The breeder describes her as timid.
Any opinions would be welcomed.

Thanks

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
As someone who has rehabbed a lot of undersocialized, "timid" animals over the years, I can tell you I myself would never PAY anyone for the privilege of undertaking that hard, arduous journey.

You say you found a "healthy" pup--and I don't know any of your backstory, understand, but even if we say the pup is physically healthy...is she mentally healthy?

Do you want to, and do you feel qualified to, take on an emotionally troubled animal?

Do you have lots of training and behavioral experience? Successfully rehabbed other animals with this type of issue?

Do you have ready access to resources to help you along the way? Is this in your budget, both time and money budget, I mean?

Do you have dreams for a new puppy, some hobby you want to pursue with it? Or even just expectations of a safe, happy, friendly companion who will be okay around visitors and neighbors, and their dogs?

If so, and her emotional issues make none of that safely possible, are you okay with that?

Basically, you should consider whether or not you want to take on what could possibly be a special needs animal, for the rest of her life.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Sounds to me like a very difficult case. How experienced are you with these kinds of issues and with the breed? Personally, I would not do it. Others enjoy these kinds of dogs who can turn out to be lovely companions WITH A LOT OF TIME AND WORK :)

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts
Well, as someone who was basically in your position (slightly younger pup - 4.5 months old) and who didn't know any better, I would unequivocally say not to take on this puppy.

My Shanoa came from a breeder (not a good one, we later discovered). We took her home at 4 1/2 months old. We later found out that she had not had much, if any, exposure to people (other than the breeder's family), no exposure to dogs other than her littermates and a few adults in the home, had never left the breeder's property, etc. She was also described as "a little shy."

As much as I love my dog, coping with her issues has been frustrating, expensive, and emotionally exhausting. She has been in near constant "specialized" training classes because of her fears. We've worked privately with trainers for years. We work with a certified veterinary behaviorist to try to find a combination of medication and training that will help her - initial cost of the *first* visit was $530. The follow up visits are less, but not cheap. She's on an anti-anxiety medication that costs roughly $25 a month.

She is limited in where she can go and who she can interact with. Anything that is new is very stressful for her. She took two years to learn to relax (and by that I mean NOT pacing and whining, but lying down) anywhere outside of her crate.

I can't tell you how many times I was in tears the first year. I can't tell you how many times I wondered if I could keep doing it. Even now, knowing that she'll never be a normal dog is heartbreaking. I had so many dreams for her. I wanted to take her everywhere with me. I wanted to try agility and obedience. Now, I'm happy when we make it through a day with her staying relatively calm.

The learning curve for rehabbing dogs like this is STEEP. Normal training isn't going to work. It's expensive, and it's emotionally difficult. It breaks your heart over and over, as you let go of the things you wanted for your dog. The rewards are incredible as you see them make progress, but the amount of time, money, and dedication it takes to even make small steps forward is daunting.

If I could go back in time, knowing everything I know now, I would not have taken her home. As hard as that is to say, I would never knowingly choose to do this again.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
If you are still considering after reading the previous posts, maybe you should go meet her and spend the day (or several) with her? Observe how she behaves and try to make a better decision.
Not that meeting her once or a few times will give you an answer to the outcome, but you could see for yourself if and how timid she really is. Take your time when making such a HUGE decision, and good luck in whatever you choose.

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts
If you are still considering after reading the previous posts, maybe you should go meet her and spend the day (or several) with her? Observe how she behaves and try to make a better decision.
I'm not even honestly sure that a few days would give someone a real sense of what this kind of dog can be like. Most of my family and friends don't have the "privilege" to see Shanoa's worst behavior, because I am very skilled at managing her. Unless this pup were taken out of her comfort zone into a new situation, and unless she had enough time to show her real self, I don't know that you'd get a very good sense of what you might be taking on. While I was able to identify pretty early that we were going to have some trouble, we didn't see the scope of the issue for quite some time.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
lol, I think I was editing while you were typing that. I agree completely :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The breeder wanted to sell the dog only in co-ownership but after I enquired he agreed not to.
The only stipulation will be no breeding agreement.
To give complete details, he told us that the dog is fine with other animals but sometimes shy for while to meet people. I always take info like this with grain of salt, that's why I didn't mention it before.
We had several dogs before including dobie but all got as pups.

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts
The breeder wanted to sell the dog only in co-ownership but after I enquired he agreed not to.
The only stipulation will be no breeding agreement.
To give complete details, he told us that the dog is fine with other animals but sometimes shy for while to meet people. I always take info like this with grain of salt, that's why I didn't mention it before.
We had several dogs before including dobie but all got as pups.
From what you've said, I would still pass. Often "a little shy" is code for some serious anxiety. I might, MIGHT take a pup described as shy if I absolutely trusted the breeder, but I'm pretty wary based on what you've said. Would you like to share the breeder's name with us? Unless they are an absolutely outstanding breeder with a history of stable temperaments in their lines, I would not take on this pup.

Also, just FYI, I'd personally be much more concerned with a pup that is shy with people than a pup that doesn't like other dogs. It's much easier, for me, to manage Shanoa's discomfort with strange dogs than it is to work with her discomfort of strangers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While reading this on my cell phone I'm slow in replies but it sure looks like we have to look for other pup :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did searched the forum for details about them but didn't find any info
Duraydoberman ( near Montreal )

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I got Ivan through the rescue at 4 months. When we'd go to PetSmart he would go to the end of his leash and hide behind shelves before letting someone pet him. We worked on it by going to various stores and friends houses and having them treat and interact with him. He also started SAR training at this time and we all did Circle of Friends with him. He became perfect in all of these situations and I thought the problem was resolved.

Then nice weather came and I took him for a walk in a new town. Growled at every person he saw. I addressed this with counter conditioning, treats, and obedience on our very next and subsequent walks and saw immediate and almost 100% improvement.

Six months since I got him there is still the occassional person he's very cautious about approaching or even walking passed, so we're still working on it. He's never been on any sort of medication and I haven't hired a behaviorist or special trainer, but he's been to one place for obedience, another for SAR, another for agility, and a second place for another round of obedience trying to get him exposed to new places and people all the time.

I don't know what socialization Ivan had for the first four months of his life. I don't know what he'd be like now if his training had stayed within the realms of "just a pet" versus a "working dog." But if you are going to take on this puppy, I would be prepared to, at the very least, put a lot of time into her training/socialization.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hmm, looks like Duray has some association with both Thunder Valley Dobermans (which has been discussed here on DT) and also with Fabert.

Do you know who the parents are, on this pup?

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts
I did searched the forum for details about them but didn't find any info
Duraydoberman ( near Montreal )
It looks like they have some dogs from Thunder Valley Dobermans, and based on what I've read here on DT about that breeder (including aggression issues) I would not be interested in a pup from this breeder.

If you haven't read through this thread yet, here's a start on how to evaluate breeders: http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/47441-reputable-breeders-new-folks.html

I would also read through this thread: http://www.dobermantalk.com/breedin...rst-helpful-breeder-breeding-information.html

Finally, if you haven't already, you may want to post in the "Breeding and Breeders" section with your location in the thread title. There are many people here who can help you find a great breeder in your area.

Edited to add: Looks like RFR and I posted at the same time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That sounds like our miniature dachshund we got from pet shop
He didn't like people at all and took him many years to be better

Edit: my pecking is too slow this was reply to Ivan's owner :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm, looks like Duray has some association with both Thunder Valley Dobermans (which has been discussed here on DT) and also with Fabert.

Do you know who the parents are, on this pup?
If you go to there's site / puppies / the 2nd pair on that page. ( last pup available )
When I get home I'll be more specific

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
If you go to there's site / puppies / the 2nd pair on that page. ( last pup available )
When I get home I'll be more specific
Okay, so the dam of the litter *is* from Thunder Valley breeding.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, my wife couldn't resist and contacted the breeder again asking about more details but received no reply so looks like it's over.
Back to searching for the right dog again.
Most impatient is our daughter ( 19!) who blames us that we are too picky.
I should blame you guys to get the heat of my back :D

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts
Well, my wife couldn't resist and contacted the breeder again asking about more details but received no reply so looks like it's over.
Back to searching for the right dog again.
Most impatient is our daughter ( 19!) who blames us that we are too picky.
I should blame you guys to get the heat of my back :D
It will be worth the wait for a healthy dog with a great temperament, believe me. Have you started a thread in the "Breeders" section so people can recommend some good breeders to you?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts