Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone so I have a 6 month old Donnie and were having problems with his ears standing. One ear stands all the time and his other will flop but he'll have it stand when were playing or going for a run..is that normal? Is that just going to be the way his ear is? Or should I keep taping them both up? Also I tried taping them the way that first sticky shows on this puppy forum..and of course it came out nothing like that! I used the vet wrap and when I put the tape on it flopped and seemed heavy...can anyone give me some pointers?! Thank you all!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'd keep posting the ears for another month or two and then check again.

As for posting method, I can't be of any help there. Sorry :[

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I didn't have any problems with the method stickied in the puppy section. Make sure you're doing it exactly as the instructions say. Keep on posting, though. Some pups take up to a year to stand. The longer you leave the ears down the more you're setting yourself back. Good luck :)

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I would continue posting his ears until the one is strong enough to stay up. A picture of his ears would be helpful to give us an idea of what's going on. Also, be really careful with using vet wrap since it has a tendency to tighten up cutting off blood supply, especially up around the tips. :)

Jan

·
Registered
907 Posts
Just to err on the side of caution, eliminate the vet-wrap. It's mostly for looks and neatness, but when used improperly, can cause serious problems. Just stick with the tape and the backer rods. Be sure to wrap the backer rods with tape to stiffen them.

6 months old is right about teething time-- this is notoriously a time when ears droop. Keep posting!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
My two cents is NEVER NEVER let that ear flop again :) It takes so much longer to get the ears up if they have chance(s) to flop down. When you take it down keep an eye on it and put it back up the second it looks "weak" but before it flops. Err on the side of caution and put it up sooner vs later.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Are they like this?

Photo credit: Bean and the handsome Silas

Cropped ears aren't UP and alert 24/7. They can lay flat, "doberplane", swivvle out to the sides, etc. but there shouldn't be any creases- the whole ear should be straight and move as a whole.

If theres a crease and only half or part of the ear is flopping- then keep posting! We'll get there :) I'm at 5mo with my girl, using the method here http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/47747-ear-posting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html. We're so close to the finish line!

ETA: I also didn't use vetwrap, because of the dangers of it constricting.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Where in Ky are you? I would be happy to help you with posting. I am in Burlington right by the Greater Cincinnati Northern Ky airport. And There is MeganUK around Lexington area. And she posts just like I do too :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For some reason it won't let me get the picture off my iPhone I'll try and do it from one on my Facebook, if it works you'll see there pretty long.

But I'm in Frankfort, KY right next to lexington! The only vet I found in the area that would do it basically said he didn't think they would stand and didn't think we should waste our time going back..so I'm on my own with this! But his weak ear will lay flat but when the other is always up the weak ear with fold almost like there's a crease in his ear...if I bend it toward the middle of his head for like ten seconds and let go he'll hold it there for a bit.
What's a good kind of tape to use? I used the Johnson & Johnson and saw it sticker to his fur :( I have previously used vet wrap on my horse so I know how it can constrict, it seemed to work then when I put tape on it, it got heavy and flopped, am I using to much tape?

Thanks!

·
Registered
907 Posts
You've got to make sure the posts are really far down in the ear canal (as long as you're using backer rods). It's the support of the post that makes the ear stand. Is the post flopping out of the ear? Or just bending?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
You should use a sports tape since it allows air in. The Johnson&Johnson is probably okay as long as it is not a waterproof tape. One way to keep the tape from sticking and pulling out hair, is to apply powder to the ears (not the inside where they are against the post, but on top. I use Gold Bond Medicated powder, but I think any type of baby powder, etc., would work fine. This will really make taking down the posts much easier. Some people soften the tape with baby oil before removing the posts.

Jan

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
You need to keep posting, its a lazy ear that needs further time to straighten it. If it stays up for even a short while, the cartilage is okay. We used coaches tape and backer rod. We also tapered the rod at the end, so it went further in the ear. Then when we taped the backer rod, we left the tapered end exposed so it was more softer to create less rubbing. We first wrapped the rod in duct tape, to give it stiffness. Than second taping of coaches tape backwards. We wrapped bottom first and made sure to wrap under the bell.
We used googone (adhesive remover) quickly to remove the tape and a good cleaning after.
I would suggest taping for a minimum one month and in between tapings, do not even bother to see how it is standing, basically remove tape, air dry and tape again.as someone else mentioned , don't even give it a chance to drop.
Once you feel it's good, leave it untapped and if it doesn't drop within a week, ur good to go but if it drops before that, start taping again.
When I stopped taping Nubis's ears, at the end of the week, one was very slightly lazy but I left it, so he could let his ear muscles firm it up and he did.
I also believe taping for too long will set u backwards too, as the muscles are somewhat restricted in movement.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
For some reason it won't let me get the picture off my iPhone I'll try and do it from one on my Facebook, if it works you'll see there pretty long.

But I'm in Frankfort, KY right next to lexington! The only vet I found in the area that would do it basically said he didn't think they would stand and didn't think we should waste our time going back..so I'm on my own with this! But his weak ear will lay flat but when the other is always up the weak ear with fold almost like there's a crease in his ear...if I bend it toward the middle of his head for like ten seconds and let go he'll hold it there for a bit.
What's a good kind of tape to use? I used the Johnson & Johnson and saw it sticker to his fur :( I have previously used vet wrap on my horse so I know how it can constrict, it seemed to work then when I put tape on it, it got heavy and flopped, am I using to much tape?

Thanks!
Give me a call I would be happy yo help. I will even contact Megan for you. I can tell you what to get and where to get it. 859-991-5557 anytime after 3 pm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts