Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 year old doberman named Niko in Indianapolis needs a home. Is currently living in my home and the ex wife is refusing to take responsibility for her dog. She's been gone for almost a year and just now decided she can't take him. She claims to have called every rescue within 200 miles and none of them are accepting surrenders so he may end up in a shelter.

I can't afford to keep him. He's healthy, gets along ok with the 2 cats that live here though he does chase quite a bit and likes to play with them which they don't appreciate. I hate to give him up but it is the best thing for him with my work schedule and financial situation. He deserves better than he gets here.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Have you contacted any Doberman Rescue organizations?

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
she claims she has contacted all of them within a 200 mile radius. i personally haven't contacted any of them. i figured this was a good place to start.

I would try contacting them yourself - I know IDR + is full but if he is alltered they may be able to list him as a referral and take him into the program if space opens up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would try contacting them yourself - I know IDR + is full but if he is alltered they may be able to list him as a referral and take him into the program if space opens up.
he is altered, natural ears, crop tail. i'll make a few phone calls this week and see what i can come up with.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now the ex isn't responding to my messages so I'm guessing she is abandoning him. i don't feel right dropping him off at a random no kill shelter. any assistance that can be provided will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Did you end up getting in touch with any of the rescue groups?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
have you call SWODR? Southwest Doberman Rescue Home if not, please give them a call
it's been a while since i posted here. nothing is panning out for me. i called this group and he has a bite history so they refused him and suggested euthanasia.

the situation is not getting better. this dog needs a home and it is becoming more urgent by the day. the ex in this situation is non responsive. local groups have been unsuccessful.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Maybe post more information here.......pictures.............what is the story of the bite history.......etc.

Hugz to Niko.

i looked at the pics in your gallery of Niko, he is a handsome red boy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe post more information here.......pictures.............what is the story of the bite history.......etc.

Hugz to Niko.

i looked at the pics in your gallery of Niko, he is a handsome red boy.
Thanks. he's a good dog, a really good dog actually, im just not a dog person. the only reason i gave in was to get her to stop talking about it. look where it got me.... he listens very well in the house. has never been aggressive to anyone that i've had over. when i first got him he used to get really upset when someone came in the house that he didnt know. i would leave him in his crate until they left(short visit) or until he calmed down. once he calmed down and was introduced carefully, he was perfectly fine with them coming and going and being alone with them after a few days of them being around. even a year later, my mom visited and he paid her no attention because she was familiar. he doesnt get as upset now it seems. i dont have a lot of company though so it is hard to determine. he has never once been aggressive to me. when i first got him he challenged me some but that doesnt happen anymore as he knows the structure in the home. my gf moved in a few months ago and from day one he was ok with her and loves to cuddle. he even listens to her like he does with me. sometimes he tries to push it but he knows when i notice that he isnt listening the game is over. i really dont want to put him down because there isnt anything wrong with him. he just needs a home where he can get some more exercise and have more activities to do. currently he's gotten pretty lazy laying around the house all the time but if you give him the chance, he'll run himself ragged until you have to carry him in the house because he is too tired to move.

The bite history: the first one was with the previous owner. I don't recall the specifics as it has been 3 years ago when they told me.
the second was the day he came home with us. we had a friend over that wanted to see him. All was well until she went to stand up from her seat and when she leaned forward, he lunged at her and bit her in the leg. I feel like this was more of a scared/protective/insecure bite due to the new house, new people, etc.
the third was in my back yard. he was running around and the neighbor came outside. he was barking at her for whatever reason dogs bark, didnt seem aggressive to me but perhaps informative. she decided it was a stellar idea to approach the fence and try to pet him without permission. i didnt notice what she was doing but she leaned over the fence and he jumped up to bite at her and nipped her in the chest. this bite is the one that boggles my mind the most. why you would ever approach a large unknown dog that is barking at you is beyond me.

none of these instances have been reported. he was always up to date on shots and whatnot so there were no medical issues of any kind. the second bite of my friend she had to get some stitches. the neighbor was really only a rough scratch due to where his mouth landed on flat skin.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
he definitely needs a dog person who can "read' him.

i have been owned by Dobes for years and there have been a few times where if i had not noticed what was happening..............certain dobes of mine may have bit someone.

I do hope the right home can be found for him.

Hugz to you and yours.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Aw, he is beautiful! His bite incidents wouldn't be a problem with someone who is experienced because they would know how to slowly introduce him, how to not let strangers just go up to him, etc etc.
While you say you feel badly that he doesn't get the attention he deserves, I don't see how having him put down would be a better option. So, what you are actually saying is that he is too much trouble for you and doesn't fit into your life now. I know you kind of got him by default, but he IS attached to you. To be PTS for the bites which you described, seems to me to be totally, totally not right. Please don't turn him in. I hope either you keep him or find a good home for him. I am sorry that you don't feel so bonded to him that you would never let him go....that's how most of us here feel. You don't think that you would miss him if he were gone? You don't think you would regret perhaps giving up on him? Is it a possibility to have a dogwalker come in a couple of times a week (or more) so that he gets 'more attention'?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts