Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my boy Hero was fine today until this afternoon when he threw up a little while after his lunch so i waited a little bit and gave him just 3/4 of a scoop of dry food then her threw that up then he threw up some more a little while after that so he did that 3x within 1.5 so when my husband got home he called the vet and actually just took him in to get checked because he was also shivering and we don't know why any thoughts? and as of late yesterday he had loose stools so he has loose stools throwing up and shivering so that is why my husband took him in. Also he is exhausted. I just don't want to over react...thanks for any feedback....

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes he is utd on shots in fact he just had his rabies shot last Thurs and no out of the ordinary smell on his stooles...

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
is there a chance he could have swallowed or eaten anything 'odd' ?

he could have a bad case of gastritis or even a blockage maybe.

Let us know how the Vet trip goes.

Hugz to Hero.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there a chance he could have swallowed or eaten anything 'odd' ?

he could have a bad case of gastritis or even a blockage maybe.

Let us know how the Vet trip goes.

Hugz to Hero.
well i guess there is a possiblity but i watch him like a hawk because when i let him out i go out with him also but he was chewing on a stick but i didnt see anything in this throat or anything like that. i am just stunned as to what could of happened in such a short period of time-my husband is at the vets now so i will keep you updated. When my husband called the vet a little while ago they said no need to see him just cook him rice and chicken and see how he is from there but the reason why we decide he should go was because he was very tired acting and not himself along with the shivering so wasnt sure what that was all about. He does shiver alot at times and not sure if that is normal or not or if that should be looked at also.......

·
Registered
206 Posts
I second the possibly ate/swallowed something. Ripley had an obstruction awhile back. She couldn't keep food or water down and would shiver. Her obstruction did not show up on x-rays.
Please let us know!
You know your dogs personality. Even if Ripley's ears were up her tail was tucked. It took me bringing her in three times before the vet did explorative surgery.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how did you know it was an obstruction? he was gassy also lastnight and today as a matter of fact and my husband just said his temp is fine so that is a plus and he is acting like a nut at the vets so thats also a plus...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Her temp was normal as well. She stayed at vet Friday morning till Saturday afternoon. She was very happy when I picked her up but quickly ran out of steam. They said I could take her home because while on IV fluids she seemed to perk up and no more vomiting. What I didn't know till later was they never feed her. Sunday am she vomited blood took her to EVet. That Dr was smarter and did explorative surgery. Found two plastic squeakers. She to was never out of my sight and no toys while crated.
Keeping you in my thoughts!

·
Super Moderator
21,742 Posts
Glad he's at the vet. If he was chewing a stick I would have an x-ray done at minimum. That could easily turn into a blockage, even if you didn't see him bite a piece off. Sometimes they are really sneaky.

Reactions: SARGE2008

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok hero is back from the vets and his temp was normal did a fecal smear also fine and felt for blockage and did not feel one...said he probably just has a stomach bug not to feed him tonight let his stomach rest. said if he is throwing up tomorrow or not acting right to bring him back in...sound about right? thanks for all your help and concerns!! :) hopeing its just a stomach bug...

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I think a few extra hugs to Sarge is in order. Please keep everyone informed as to how he does over the next few days.

KC

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
he doesn't get rawhide treats does he? ...they are notoriuos for causing obstuctions (including partial obstructions) and can also result in explosive poops.

If he shows any signs of bringing up frothy liquid or his sides ring out like a drum when you tap them....get him to an e-vet ASAP for suspected obstruction.

I'm so hopeing it all goes well and is just a temporary bug or reaction to his last shot.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just got back from ER VET because when he came home from regular vet he drank some water and then threw it back up-still could not get comfortable-wanted to lay down because he was so tired but couldn't and had the shivers and then i pet his side and he cried a little so we decided to take him in to the ER VET as a precaution and to make us feel better. They did xrays did not find any obstructions his temp again was fine his heartbeat was strong so she thinks it just a "bug" and injected him with fluids so he didnt dehydrate overnight and a injection so he wouldnt feel nauseaus...said in the a/m to give him a little bit of water see if he can keep that down and if he does then give him a little chicken and white rice and keep him on bland diet for 2-3 days but if he throws up the water then to follow up with them or our regular vet and get ultrasound and some bloodwork done. So thats where we are at so please keep your fingers crossed that he will be ok. Oh and he mostly gets bully sticks but always when we are with him. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The one time I took Audrey in to the ER was after I gave her a bully stick and then it was gone. I couldn't find it anywhere and it was too quick for her to have 'chewed it' slowly. She got really nauseous. I was afraid it had been swallowed semi-whole and was causing a problem. Of course, xray showed nothing. etc etc.

Anway, I never gave her a bully stick after that. Cost me $500! Hope Sarge is all right. Sounds like he is really uncomfortable! Hope there is no blockage, but please watch him and then make sure your vet checks him out again if he isn't better.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know Junie, our youngest lab, went through that when she was pretty young and it was just a bug. Scared the heck out of us though! I'm crossing my fingers and sending good thoughts that will be all it is. Hugs to Hero.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is an eerily similar description!! Ripley had no temp, elevated liver panel, no feeling of obstruction, multiple vomiting. This went on close to a week. The had to remove 10" of her intestines, it was $4000 at the end because with IV fluids she was not vomiting and perkier. You might want to talk to a different vet if Sarge vomits again. Maybe a barium treatment?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well so far so good for my lil man Hero this a/m.....we gave him a small scoop of chicken and rice at 4:40 am kept it down and then gave him another small scoop around 6:10 am with a pepcid (per er vet) and he seems to be keeping that down. he is more perkier then yesterday afternoon but of course still on the tired side but i am gonna give him lots of rest and keep him as quiet as i can so he gets better..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts