Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1st Doberman and he is attached at my side, however he is testing me and his boundaries. I try to correct him with no results. He knows basic commands and the word NO. Any help with corrections?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are no training facilities within a 100 miles. He was givin to me and I want to learn how to be a responsible owner. Web sites? Any suggestions will be great. I am a newbie but I am dedicated.:confused:confused::confused:

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I'm not so sure he is testing boundaries. He may be used to jumping to get attention. It works so he jumps. If the dog is NOT hurting me (depending on size and how hard they might hit me), I turn my body sidways so they slide off me and I ignore them. When they stop jumping, I calmly reward.

If he is nipping while jumping, I would do a simila thing and also ask for a down to get his mouth away from me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update! Great advise here guys. Leerburg was the information I needed. Tito is doing better and I have learned alot about the mistakes I was making. I purchased a prong collar and learned correct fitting and how to use. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Update! Great advise here guys. Leerburg was the information I needed. Tito is doing better and I have learned alot about the mistakes I was making. I purchased a prong collar and learned correct fitting and how to use. Thanks so much!
I personally do not like prong collars and for this I do not think it is necessary. Turning sideways does the trick with my dogs, but I guess it is whatever rocks your boat.

By the way, where are you in the world.

Good luck with your pup.

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
If you want to be a positive trainer, please check out Emily Larlham's website with tons of free videos on training (see the link below). You can order clickers for practically nothing and an awesome book to explain operant behavior and training (Don't Shoot the Dog, by Karen Pryor) can be ordered used from Amazon for less than $10.

Free Video List

Here is one of Emily's GREAT videos specifically on jumping up. She is also known as "Kikopup" on the Youtube channel.
Dog Training: How to stop Jumping up!- clicker dog training - YouTube

Your dog deserves a lot more than jerking around on a prong collar. I can walk both of my dogs on loose leash and harness but it took TRAINING and time. Please learn how to train positively and don't rely on a punishing collar for compliance. When I see prongs I know that someone has not taken the time to train. Use a harness where the leash attaches in the front of the chest until your dog is well-trained as it will prevent pulling with no punishment to the dog. You'll get a wonderful bond with your dog through training and you will also love seeing your dog respond to the mental challenge of training. Dobermans are so intelligent and they adore training if it is positive! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, The plastic prong collar was a bad idea! to see his eyes looking at me that way showed me that it would cause trust issues quick. Only used trice with harsh results. I watched many videos and I found that NOTHING replaces the time I spend with him and I am gratefull for all the advise!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts