Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there Doberman family. I was hoping to get some feed back for I have purchased my pup in Mexico and am looking to bring him to Chicago. However by the time I am able to go get him he will be close to 5 months. Is that still an appropriate age or should I make an effort to get him sooner?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of living conditions will he have until you can pick him up?
Well my dad is looking after him and we live out in the country so he i skins of going to be an outside dog so I don’t know if it will be a problem for him adjusting to the indoors

·
Registered
15 Posts
How old is the pup now? You want to start obedience training him young and he will always be the best behaved with the original trainer. But he will "grow up" between 18 months and 2 1/2 years. My first dobe knew all of the commands, and if she felt like it, she behaved perfectly, until she was 2 1/2 at which time it was as if a switch went off and she always did everything I asked, immediately. I never knew if it was because I couldn't be there for her first two (adult) classes. Subsequent dobes grew up earlier (18 months). Changing from outdoor to indoor dog should be easy. I have had a number of rescues over the years and they LOVE becoming indoor dogs. I had outdoor dogs in Hawai'i (who visited indoors during the day - it was a flea thing) and now that I am back in the north, I have indoor dogs with 24/7 access to the yard (except during windy times when their doors need to be covered to prevent them from blowing open). Good luck with this new family member. If he has been kenneled and never allowed inside the house, there will certainly be a few accidents, but calm clean-ups with the explanation that "we do that outside" will go a long way toward developing trust in you from your dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts