Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Might be an easy question to answer but I’m a bit lost. Research suggests that you only exercise your puppy for 5mins for every month old they are. So if a pup is 3 months old, it should only get 15mins exercise. Here’s my question:

is that guidance per day or per exercise slot (could the pup be exercised 3 times a day for a maximum of 5mins x however old they are)?

for my 3 month pup Doberman, 15mins doesn’t seem enough.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,260 Posts
I don't believe that is actually based on scientific research. The exercise restrictions now placed on young dogs seem to have gotten really out of control. There's a big difference between forcing a young pup to run next to you on hard concrete for miles, and letting a puppy play and run - at their own pace and direction.

This is an excellent read on exercise for puppies and young dogs: Exercises for Young Dogs

This is a great piece by a veterinarian: What is the Logic Behind Not Exercising Puppies Until the Growth Plates are Closed?

One further read - the biggest thing I worry about is joint damage. The #1 and #2 common injury factors for puppies - it's not just about hips and elbows

Be more worried about repetitive stress activities like fetch causing injuries:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts