Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's with a heavy heart I am writing this.
We have been having issues with our female dobe being very fearful with dogs and barking at them excessivly. She has a very high prey drive and has recently started chasing our cat and tthis is not play. She is also being extemely rough with my mom's small dog and yesterday tried to bite/ nip her tail and pull her around.
I have spoken to the trainer and I have decided I can't endanger our cat and dog.
Ivy would be best suited in a home with no small dogs or animals. She is a very timid dog and tends to bark at children as well...so best suited in a home without small kids.
I have contacted the family we got herr from but have yet to hear back from them.
So I am turning to this doberman community to hopefull place her in a home as the only pet and no young children. Also her future owner should have experience and patience working with a fearful/ reactive dog. She will definitly need continued training and work on her confidence.
We reside in CT. I contacted DRU but I do not have the means to drive to NH.
If you or someone you know would be a good fit for her please contact me.
I really want her to be a happy puppy.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Kris was like that when she was around that age. She would bark and lunge at any strange dogs and I had to really watch her around my small dogs as she played too rough. With lots of work she is good now and although I do not leave her out with my small dogs if I am not there, she has learned to leave them alone. She never has bothered with people or children, just ignores them when we are out walking.

Have you had her in any Obedience classes? I started Kris in a small class, four or five dogs and she is now in a class with about 25 dogs and is good. Dobermans do play rough but many people have them and also have small dogs so it can be done. They can also be taught to be good with children.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kris was like that when she was around that age. She would bark and lunge at any strange dogs and I had to really watch her around my small dogs as she played too rough. With lots of work she is good now and although I do not leave her out with my small dogs if I am not there, she has learned to leave them alone. She never has bothered with people or children, just ignores them when we are out walking.

Have you had her in any Obedience classes? I started Kris in a small class, four or five dogs and she is now in a class with about 25 dogs and is good. Dobermans do play rough but many people have them and also have small dogs so it can be done. They can also be taught to be good with children.
Thanks for your reply... If I thought it was just being a rough puppy I wouldn't be rehoming her. She is also in prey drive with our cat and I can't imagine putting my cat in danger. I know she would be better with someone who is more experienced with reactive dogs, and someone who doesn't have small animals.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DRU has a Facebook page. I am certain we can arrange to get her up there, many volunteers are in CT.
I actually contacted David parsons and he sent me owner release papers that I will fax back.
I have no way of actually driving to NH to drop her to them. I tried contacting someone on her in the " transport" section but they didn't know why I had emailed them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to give an update.
Ivy is on her way to DRU and will be placed in a home that fits her needs.
I want to give dobe mom a big thank you for volunteering her time and transporting Ivy to DRU.
I'm so grateful that ivy is on her way to a home where she won't be " beaten up " by my moms dog.
I've realized that my wanting a dobe pup is on hold until I move out of my moms home.
I am still crying on and off and waking this morning to no wagging nub, and Ivy's kisses was really hard.
She's a wonderful dog and she deserves an awesome life.... Even if that life doesn't include me.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I wanted to give an update.
Ivy is on her way to DRU and will be placed in a home that fits her needs.
I want to give dobe mom a big thank you for volunteering her time and transporting Ivy to DRU.
I'm so grateful that ivy is on her way to a home where she won't be " beaten up " by my moms dog.
I've realized that my wanting a dobe pup is on hold until I move out of my moms home.
I am still crying on and off and waking this morning to no wagging nub, and Ivy's kisses was really hard.
She's a wonderful dog and she deserves an awesome life.... Even if that life doesn't include me.

This is a terribly hard decision to have to have made :( But, an unfortunate part of having dogs in our care. I hope Ivy finds a new and lovely home quickly, through DRU.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Glad she got to a place that will fit her into a forever home! Pups get snapped up like gold, so no worries there.

A good reminder for people who are sure the other person will grow to love the Doberman they don't want in their home, the reluctant spouse who agrees to the new dog under duress, etc. Dogs have to be family dogs when living in a family situation. Also never a good idea to get one if you don't have the money, time and dedication to do whatever it takes to make sure your pets are family members for life.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I miss ivy so much.... I thought it would get a little easier as time passed but I think of her all day every day. If I see a dog on the street I tear up.
I'm calling DRU today to check in on her progress. I know I made the fair decision for her sake... And it was only reinforced this weekend when my moms dog tried to fight the neighbors giant Akita .
She just isn't dog friendly at all. Ivy had to deal with it everyday and was so intent on wanting to play that she would still follow her around even though she was going to get nipped at or bit.
I hope when I speak with David that she will be on her way to a great home. I don't think I can ever have another dog after this. Even when I move out of my moms house in 2 yrs. I wish I could have afforded to move out now and ivy and I could be together.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
DRU had their open house today. I couldn't make it because I have 2 sick dogs at home. But they have been posting pictures and videos from today in Facebook. Ivy is in a few of the pics and she looks happy and I have heard she is doing great and is a favorite of the staff. They had a nice turnout today of potential adopters for their dogs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts