Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:goodnews: Well, we went for shot number four :) She had he physical exam & a rectal - poor baby - but she got an excellent review from the vet! She is doing great. Her attitude is fantastic and she has started jumping again which is really weird since she learned that was a big no-no many moons ago - so I am thinking she is feeling pretty good. We have had some upset tummy issues so she is still only eating her herbs once a day. It could be the herbs or the Innova Evo (anyone had any tummy issues while feeding evo?) Can't say for sure. I did manage to find some canned pumpkin at the store. I mixed her herbs in that & she thought she won the lottery! I usually use cottage cheese (2%) which she also enjoys. Now I have to remember to call & pay for the remaining shots. She goes back in 2 weeks. Also she gets to skip her rabies and dd2pl (I think those are the right initals for the booster - i could be wrong though). The vet said that research has shown that the booster shots actually last longer than the 3 years they claim. I thought that was interesting. I have a note from my vet so animal control can't get mad. So far so good. She is a little tired today so we skipped our walk - she was at the vet's and work - big day. I am just so happy that's she is doing so well.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Glad she is doing well! That's SO great to hear!!!! And that is great news what your vet said about the distemper too. I also believe that, but my vet won't agree (could you imagine the profit dollars going down;))

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Oh Jenny, that sounds so wonderful, especially about her feeling great.
I am thinking the evo might be too high in protein on her for now. Protein is hard to digest. You might want to try a lower protein quality food for her now. Of course I suggest canidae as I love it, but there are other ones too.
I love your vet too. I never vaccinated every year as it made no sense to me. I mean they said it was a permanent shot years ago and things didn't just all of a sudden change. Modified live virus vaccine is what I am talking about.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Linda - as per vet (oncologist) instructions - she is suppose to eat a high protein low carb diet. Carbs can fuel the growth of cancer cells - it speed up some cell divisions if I remember correctly that's why the evo. Evo has the best protein to carb ratio. There were a few others suggested such as bark at the moon, wellness, and solid gold, but their ration weren't as good ( less protein and more carbs) The canned pumpkim has helped with the loose poop though. I also have a stash of immodium ad which was oked by the vet. Also they can take pepcid ac prior - about 1/2 hour - to herbs as well - haven't tried that yet. I have all the info about the foods at home if you are interesed let me know :) I have learned alot of stuff about canine cancer in the last few month - more than I ever wanted to know. Thank you all for caring about Isabelle's progress - I really appreciate all your kind words and positive thoughts :)

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Glad to hear that she is doing so well. It is interesting to know that a kibble like Evo is good for her issues..........that is what I feed.

Keep us informed on her progress......... I am certainly pulling for her!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Linda - as per vet (oncologist) instructions - she is suppose to eat a high protein low carb diet. Carbs can fuel the growth of cancer cells - it speed up some cell divisions if I remember correctly that's why the evo. I have all the info about the foods at home if you are interesed let me know :) I have learned alot of stuff about canine cancer in the last few month
OMG no don't give me all the info about foods you have at home. I had a hard enough time deciding what to feed with just the few I sorted out.
Except I have to ask this and I may hate myself---does your info include dog foods causing cancer or maybe I mean ingredients in df causing cancer???

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No just the protein to carb ratios. From what I understand it is mostly for dogs already diagnosed. Although I think feeding a high protein lower carb diet throughout the dogs life may be beneficial in the long run. Isabelle ate science diet w/d for a long time - then it was nutro max. Don't know if that helps you any. I haven't looked up the ingredients in either of them, but now that you've got me thinking - I may just do that.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
No just the protein to carb ratios. From what I understand it is mostly for dogs already diagnosed. Although I think feeding a high protein lower carb diet throughout the dogs life may be beneficial in the long run. Isabelle ate science diet w/d for a long time - then it was nutro max. Don't know if that helps you any. I haven't looked up the ingredients in either of them, but now that you've got me thinking - I may just do that.
Yes, that is what I wanted to know, thanks.:) :) :)

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ingredients - Science Diet w/d
Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Peanut Hulls, Chicken by-product Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Meal, Soybean Mill Run, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Corn Gluten Meal, Iron Oxide, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Potassium Chloride, preserved with BHT, BHA and Ethoxyquin, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, DL-Methionine, L-Tryptophan, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene.

Average Nutrient Contents
Nutrient
Nutrient Guarantee
% As Fed1
% Dry Matter2
% As Fed, Caloric Basis3
g/100 kcal
Protein 15.0 min 17.2 18.9 5.8
Fat 6.0 min 8.2 9.0 2.7
Carbohydrate (NFE) 45.6 50.1 15.3
Crude Fiber 20.0 max 16.0 17.6 5.4

This is from the science diet web site. Terrible ratios - I wish I had know a long long time ago about dog food. I can't belive I fed her this after reading the ingredients! I can't believe vets recommend this either. Her old vet recommended this - they were also the ones that didn't fingure out her broken toe nail wasn't healing for a reason.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
glad things are going well with her!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
:emo1: Isabelle, you go girl!!! :thumbs-up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts