Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old Doberman who has a carpet chewing problem. He has tore up our carpet in the past while we werent home, but last night he got to the carpet while we were asleep. We intially thought he has seperation anxiety & thats why he would act up while we were gone, but never while we were home. Any suggestions on how to deter him from chewing the carpet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Yea ... let him sleep in the masters bed / that is what I do...never any trouble here.

Sorry, but to fully answer your question...need more dobe history and your training routine.
Does he continue to LEARN or is he just plain BORED, out of his tree ??
- just don't know enough, from your short post...but 4 years old & problems / is a real problem
Love to see pictures to, of your boy / what is his name ??

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
For a dog that is doing damage, I would make sure he's not bored, well exercised, and stimulated mentally on a daily basis.

What kind of training, play, and mental stimulation does your dog get daily? While not always, I find that a dog that is doing damage in the house is usually one of these 3 things. If it continues, or gets worse, I would lessen the freedom while he can't be watched.

What have you done when he chews the carpet?

·
Registered
167 Posts
A dog is a creature of routine and habit. YOU have allowed this to become a habit. Now YOU must break the cycle. The crate and muzzle suggestions will be good tools for this. YOU also have to get the point across to the dog that this is an undesirable habit.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
In addition to everyone’s comments about more exercise/stimulation, I would suggest using something like an air-horn/high pressure air-spray to distract him if you catch him in the act. When you see him doing it, grab the spray and spray it in a short sharp action to shock him.

(Don’t spray it at him and don’t look at him when you do it though, you want him to fear chewing the carpet you don’t want him to fear you.)v

·
Super Moderator
22,376 Posts
Is this a new behavior, or has he been doing this for four years?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts