Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
your Dobie ears definitely look infected. Are they on antibiotics? If not they should be. Also when posting don't wrap the ears too tight. Causes deformity in the ears and possibly wo
uld have to be recut

·
Registered
16 Posts
Never clean any cut with peroxide--it damages tissues and actually slows down healing. In fact, don't clean their ears at all; just let them be. Your main concern right now is to get the ears healed--don't worry about when you need to start posting. Their ears need to be completely healed with no scabs or open cuts--just clear healthy skin up and down the edge of the ears--before you can post. Don't be tempted to rush it. If you end up with infection due to the tape running across those areas before they are completely healed, that will set you back just as far or farther.

I'm not clear what you mean about the cloudy discharge. Do you think you could post some pictures of their ears to give us an idea of whether their healing process is going well or not?

Two puppies at the same time though? That is really not recommended. Most good breeders will not let them go in pairs because they may (are almost certain to, in fact) develop "littermate syndrome". Read through our thread:
Absolutely excellent article on littermate syndrome | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

It can really create a lot of headaches to try to raise two puppies together--it's not particularly good for the dogs' development either.
All I got to say when in doubt a good vet check would be advised

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have two 11 week old red Doberman pups(first time dobie mom) and they got the ears cropped and dew claws removed (by breeder) 4 days ago. I am very concerned that they aren’t healing properly and what they look like isn’t normal. They have self absorbing stitches they haven’t been wrapped or bandaged and they just seem to be in complete discomfort and seems to be getting worse. There’s swelling at the base of the ears( breeder says it’s normal) and some cloudy discharge at the base of the ears not coming from where the stitches are. They’re wearing a cone because if not they’ll just go crazy with the scratching; which they go crazy all night scratching at the cone anyway. I was told to clean with peroxide and that’s almost impossible because it hurts them. I’m worried about the length of time it takes for them to heal because this is going to push back me starting to post them which could affect them actually standing up..Does anyone have any advice? View attachment 138097
My advice is be patient. I used to panic bc I thought it would affect the ability for them to stand up. You should be good. My pup got his ears cropped at 12 weeks. He ended up getting an ear infection at about 15-16 weeks because he had a little scab that I didn't see. I thought his ears were completely healed but they weren't so it set me back like 2 weeks because I had to wait for his ear to re-heal. I was posting his ears every 5-6 days and they eventually stood up after he turned 7 months. That was the last time I posted and his ears actually stick up. Just be patient, I was told not to put anything in the ear and just let it heal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good luck with your pups. I can't stand dew claws so I completely understand you getting them removed. Hope all heals well and just remember as others have said, never use Hydrogen Peroxide. I even cringe when Dr Poll advises people to use it. LOL

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have two 11 week old red Doberman pups(first time dobie mom) and they got the ears cropped and dew claws removed (by breeder) 4 days ago. I am very concerned that they aren’t healing properly and what they look like isn’t normal. They have self absorbing stitches they haven’t been wrapped or bandaged and they just seem to be in complete discomfort and seems to be getting worse. There’s swelling at the base of the ears( breeder says it’s normal) and some cloudy discharge at the base of the ears not coming from where the stitches are. They’re wearing a cone because if not they’ll just go crazy with the scratching; which they go crazy all night scratching at the cone anyway. I was told to clean with peroxide and that’s almost impossible because it hurts them. I’m worried about the length of time it takes for them to heal because this is going to push back me starting to post them which could affect them actually standing up..Does anyone have any advice? View attachment 138097
Hi, if I was you I would be talking them to your vet and get antibiotics! They have an infection. Hurry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
your Dobie ears definitely look infected. Are they on antibiotics? If not they should be. Also when posting don't wrap the ears too tight. Causes deformity in the ears and possibly wo
uld have to be recut
They were given antibiotics for only three days completely did a 180 in that small time frame and now we’re just waiting for all the scans to be gone so that we can start the posting. Thank you for the reply. I can’t wait to update you all with pics soon!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts