Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have two 11 week old red Doberman pups(first time dobie mom) and they got the ears cropped and dew claws removed (by breeder) 4 days ago. I am very concerned that they aren’t healing properly and what they look like isn’t normal. They have self absorbing stitches they haven’t been wrapped or bandaged and they just seem to be in complete discomfort and seems to be getting worse. There’s swelling at the base of the ears( breeder says it’s normal) and some cloudy discharge at the base of the ears not coming from where the stitches are. They’re wearing a cone because if not they’ll just go crazy with the scratching; which they go crazy all night scratching at the cone anyway. I was told to clean with peroxide and that’s almost impossible because it hurts them. I’m worried about the length of time it takes for them to heal because this is going to push back me starting to post them which could affect them actually standing up..Does anyone have any advice?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,284 Posts
Never clean any cut with peroxide--it damages tissues and actually slows down healing. In fact, don't clean their ears at all; just let them be. Your main concern right now is to get the ears healed--don't worry about when you need to start posting. Their ears need to be completely healed with no scabs or open cuts--just clear healthy skin up and down the edge of the ears--before you can post. Don't be tempted to rush it. If you end up with infection due to the tape running across those areas before they are completely healed, that will set you back just as far or farther.

I'm not clear what you mean about the cloudy discharge. Do you think you could post some pictures of their ears to give us an idea of whether their healing process is going well or not?

Two puppies at the same time though? That is really not recommended. Most good breeders will not let them go in pairs because they may (are almost certain to, in fact) develop "littermate syndrome". Read through our thread:
Absolutely excellent article on littermate syndrome | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

It can really create a lot of headaches to try to raise two puppies together--it's not particularly good for the dogs' development either.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,284 Posts
Oh--I should have said this first-
Welcome to DT from Colorado!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never clean any cut with peroxide--it damages tissues and actually slows down healing. In fact, don't clean their ears at all; just let them be. Your main concern right now is to get the ears healed--don't worry about when you need to start posting. Their ears need to be completely healed with no scabs or open cuts--just clear healthy skin up and down the edge of the ears--before you can post. Don't be tempted to rush it. If you end up with infection due to the tape running across those areas before they are completely healed, that will set you back just as far or farther.

I'm not clear what you mean about the cloudy discharge. Do you think you could post some pictures of their ears to give us an idea of whether their healing process is going well or not?

Two puppies at the same time though? That is really not recommended. Most good breeders will not let them go in pairs because they may (are almost certain to, in fact) develop "littermate syndrome". Read through our thread:
Absolutely excellent article on littermate syndrome | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

It can really create a lot of headaches to try to raise two puppies together--it's not particularly good for the dogs' development either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Okay good to know about the peroxide. I’m getting mixed advice from everyone (off the internet) and I just don’t want to mess this up. We initially wanted one pup and the day we went to pick him up the runt was all that was left and they gave her to us; at that point they just wanted them all gone I guess, or had no hope on selling her. It was their first litter. i updated with a pic of one of the ears. so no peroxide but what about some warm water just to clean the dried crusties around the stitches?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

id like to add that the breeder advised me to apply vicks vapor rub on the ears which i have not and dont plan on doing unless someone on here has heard of this and tells me its beneficial? also i have applied an antimicrobial healing spray on the ears a few sprays a day but thats pretty hard because it burns so i may stop doing that. any ideas on what i can do for them to help with the constant itching?

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I would take both pups to a vet to be checked out ASAP.

Their dewclaws shouldn't have been removed at ~11 weeks old. Dewclaws should be removed when the pups are very young - usually just a few days old.

Honestly, if the "breeder" let the pups go with their freshly cropped ears in that condition and didn't remove dewclaws until the pups were almost 11 weeks old, I can just imagine what all else they likely neglected in caring for the pups. I would make sure they see a vet soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the forum!

I would take both pups to a vet to be checked out ASAP.

Their dewclaws shouldn't have been removed at ~11 weeks old. Dewclaws should be removed when the pups are very young - usually just a few days old.

Honestly, if the "breeder" let the pups go with their freshly cropped ears in that condition and didn't remove dewclaws until the pups were almost 11 weeks old, I can just imagine what all else they likely neglected in caring for the pups. I would make sure they see a vet soon.
my husband(whom is oldschool) is telling me this is normal and his dobies ears looked exactly like this years ago when they were healing and that it will get ugly before pretty. im trying to listen to him but these are my babies!! i did a phone consultation with our vet and they told me as long as the pups are not showing signs of infection then just to keep an eye on the ears. apparently the breeder doesnt normally remove the dew claws at all and just asked my husband if i we wanted it done while they were put under for the ears:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
try Neo-Predef powder.

Reactions: ELFREDS Kennels

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
or is this something that has to be perscribed?
I don't believe so. I just googled it because I could not remember the name..... it has been 9 years since my last litter. I always brought some home from the cropping vet when I had a litter cropped. I would just shake some on the ears and it really helped. My puppies were also always on an antibiotic for a little while after cropping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't believe so. I just googled it because I could not remember the name..... it has been 9 years since my last litter. I always brought some home from the cropping vet when I had a litter cropped. I would just shake some on the ears and it really helped. My puppies were also always on an antibiotic for a little while after cropping.
oh okay got it. ill try to get my hands on some or ask the vet. thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SOMEWHAT OF AN UPDATE::after days of panic and despare (from the pups and myself) we are hopefully on the road to recovery. got ahold of some antiobotics for the babies and a nice bottle of wine for myself and we will make it through the night without the scratching and crying. thank you to everyone who gave me advise and those that shared their knowledge; i cant wait to share updated pics once their ears look better!

·
Registered
58 Posts
SOMEWHAT OF AN UPDATE::after days of panic and despare (from the pups and myself) we are hopefully on the road to recovery. got ahold of some antiobotics for the babies and a nice bottle of wine for myself and we will make it through the night without the scratching and crying. thank you to everyone who gave me advise and those that shared their knowledge; i cant wait to share updated pics once their ears look better!
Hopfully antibiotics will work fine. Those ears were clearly infected. I know people said you shouldn't touch the ears but I think in these cases besides antibiotics you need to wash them with soap and water and maybe an antiseptic.... Unless Vet says otherwise of course.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hopfully antibiotics will work fine. Those ears were clearly infected. I know people said you shouldn't touch the ears but I think in these cases besides antibiotics you need to wash them with soap and water and maybe an antiseptic.... Unless Vet says otherwise of course.
The antibiotics did clear the infection and the ears are not swollen anymore..the vet told me to remove the e-collar because the stitches have either dissolved or were ripped out already anyway. I was worried that them scratching them would just do more damage; but actually whats happening is they're licking each others ears and its kind of keeping them clean and seems to be helping them heal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The antibiotics did clear the infection and the ears are not swollen anymore..the vet told me to remove the e-collar because the stitches have either dissolved or were ripped out already anyway. I was worried that them scratching them would just do more damage; but actually whats happening is they're licking each others ears and its kind of keeping them clean and seems to be helping them heal.
Ah yes! the licking... that is the worst thing when dogs have wounds, it happened to one of my dogs, not on ear cropping but in a surgical wound, just the same type of infection.... Good to know they are healing! (y)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts