Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking through all the various posts about how to handle ear infections during posting and still need help.

I have a 4.5 month old female dobe and she was diagnosed with a yeast infection in both ears today. Her vet prescribed an ear ointment and ear cleanser for two weeks. He told me "NOT" to post during this time.

She has already been out of posts for days now since we were thought she has some type of infection. On Monday, I removed her posts and the top half of both ears were red and inflamed, so she may have a tape allergy. Not sure if this could have caused the yeast infection.

Since she has been down for 4-5 days already and the vet wants us to wait 2 more weeks, are we at risk for ruining the ears being able to stand? Is there an alternative method to posting that wouldn't involve the post being in her canal? I know on other threads, everyone suggested leaving the ears down to heal, but usually the pups were younger.

Any ideas? I am very worried that all our hard work will be lost. She does have a show crop, so we probably still have a ways to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a pic (not a good one) but you can see how her ears look at this point. Still very floppy at the top especially on her weaker ear.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Oh, your poor baby! You are going to have to do as the vet says. This will set her ears back, but if you religously post, they will eyentually stand. When you start posting again use half and half mix of apple cider vinegar and water to clean her ears. The vinegar will make her ears inhospitable to yeast. I use this on Parker's ear as a cleaner because he is predisposed to ear yeast infections. Sorry you are having troubles. You might try using paper masking tape to post with. It works well, plus doesnt pull fur out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Linda

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to post without putting anything in the ear canal while we are waiting for the infection to clear? The ears seem great now after a few days of meds, so I am wondering if we can get back to posting before two weeks. Her vet doesn't know much about ear crops, so I think he is being very conservative on his two week waiting period.

At 18 or so weeks old, can her ears " break" if they are left down for 3 weeks?? She has a show crop and we are still considering the possibility of showing her so I am a little worried.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm sorry for that.
Dog's ear injection is not good. It may be due to some worms that stick with the
sensitive skin of the body. The special species of bacteria produce enzymes that actually
start making the soft skin brittle.
The simple treatment is use antibiotic shampoo. Just do it for some days but don't leave the
skin wet.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to post without putting anything in the ear canal while we are waiting for the infection to clear? The ears seem great now after a few days of meds, so I am wondering if we can get back to posting before two weeks. Her vet doesn't know much about ear crops, so I think he is being very conservative on his two week waiting period.

At 18 or so weeks old, can her ears " break" if they are left down for 3 weeks?? She has a show crop and we are still considering the possibility of showing her so I am a little worried.
Anything can happen with the ears down, I suppose, tho, would think she would be okay. Three weeks is a long time, so I undersand your worry.

You could try just skin bonding the tops to the posts, leaving the base open to the air. That would only work if the base is up and firm.

Have you asked your breeder for help with this? Maybe the breeder has had this happen before and can help you.

I am very sorry you are having to go thru this...UGH!!!

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Get in touch with your breeder for ear help. I'm wondering if Breathe Rites or a modified post that does not go into the ear canal might work? That's a long time to go without ear support for that lovely show crop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm sorry for that.
Dog's ear injection is not good. It may be due to some worms that stick with the
sensitive skin of the body. The special species of bacteria produce enzymes that actually
start making the soft skin brittle.
The simple treatment is use antibiotic shampoo. Just do it for some days but don't leave the
skin wet.
pomeranian diet

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
hope the ears clear up soon and posting can begin again.

Hugz to Indy!

while I do love apple cider vinegar for many reasons, it is alkaline, and as an overgrowth of yeast is usually cause by a 'system' that is too alkaline, you need to add acidity to the system, white vinegar IS acidic, by adding it to an ear wash it will change the PH in the ear and hopfully clear up the yeast infection.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
hope the ears clear up soon and posting can begin again.

Hugz to Indy!

while I do love apple cider vinegar for many reasons, it is alkaline, and as an overgrowth of yeast is usually cause by a 'system' that is too alkaline, you need to add acidity to the system, white vinegar IS acidic, by adding it to an ear wash it will change the PH in the ear and hopfully clear up the yeast infection.
ACV has been working well for me for several years, but its no big deal to me which vinegar is used, I just happen to have a gallon(less now) to get rid of. I'll have to try white, maybe it will give even better results.:) Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all of the replies. Ear her infection is gone so we have passed that hurdle. After about a week, I did try a modified post where the post stops at the bump in the ear.

This worked great and stayed for 4 days or so. Her ears were up the best they have been so far which was surprising after how long they had been down. The next posting, same way, lasted for about half a day and they were bent and had to be taken down. Since her infection was gone, I posted using the normal method in the ear canal, foam backer rod back-wrapped etc.

I can't keep her posts in anymore. I reposted Sunday and last night her ears were very red and inflamed inside. She also has a sore or two as well. She doesn't seem to tolerate the posting anymore.

Could a latex allergy cause this? If so, is there a specific tape we should try next? I have no idea what do to at this point. I had someone in Indy helping me with her easr but she isn't well, so I don't want to trouble her. Any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts