Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,495 Posts
I have used the 3M spray adhesive in the white and blue can. I do not think it was as strong as the red or green. It worked, but I know some people are wary of it being too strong. I used it with the zip tie method. We never use glue with the backer rod method.

· Administrator
16,035 Posts
It's probably going to just make a mess and make removing the residue a huge chore same as brush on glue. I would try simply "back wrapping" your posts with a sticky tape. Kendall covidien is a good choice for medical tape. I like to use double sided shurtape (the one with a light blue removable backing) available at Lowe's on the posts to make them nice and sticky, but still easily removed.

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi I just got my puppy a couple days ago and have a ear cropping appointment set up for Thursday. My question is is it ok to post his ears with 3M super 77 adhesive spray? View attachment 154857
I have used it never had any issues. It is so much easier than the Torbot. Unisolve dissolves it instantly and never had any irritation. Hold the backer rod post after you back wrap with tape , hold the end that is not taped that goes in the bell.. spray the post that is only back wrapped in tape. Hold it maybe a min so it gets lil tacky then it’s ready to post. No mess whatsoever
Best to spray posts outside
The only mess will be lil tacky residue on fingers that Unisolve will remove.
Good luck with ur posting

Mimi

· Premium Member
14,952 Posts
Many years ago I asked my cropping vet about using the 3M 77 spray because it was being claimed as the answer to everything. The vet advised against it for a number of reasons--not the least of which was the possiblity of the spray droplets being inhaled by the puppy. So I've always used one of the liquid types used for a variety of things in human medicine which need to be stuck on to skin. Torbot in recent years but there are other latex based adhesives that do the same thing and I've probably used all/any of them in the past. They are all easily removed with Uni-Solve.

dobebug

· Registered
10 Posts
Many years ago I asked my cropping vet about using the 3M 77 spray because it was being claimed as the answer to everything. The vet advised against it for a number of reasons--not the least of which was the possiblity of the spray droplets being inhaled by the puppy. So I've always used one of the liquid types used for a variety of things in human medicine which need to be stuck on to skin. Torbot in recent years but there are other latex based adhesives that do the same thing and I've probably used all/any of them in the past. They are all easily removed with Uni-Solve.

dobebug
Gosh I would hope common sense would be to not spray around the dog or even inside the house.

· Premium Member
14,952 Posts
People do all kinds of this with and to dogs that you wouldn't think anyone would do--because it's just "common sense"--to not do it.

But about the time I think I've seen it all someone talks about some problem they are having and I think "Gee, common sense would tell you to do (or not to do) this or that.

dobebug

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi I just got my puppy a couple days ago and have a ear cropping appointment set up for Thursday. My question is is it ok to post his ears with 3M super 77 adhesive spray? View attachment 154857

I find that when I used that spray, it would leave a gooey residue on her ear and ear pocket, and would for some reason cause an excess of earwax to mix with the glue residue. It definitely works, but I find reverse wrapping your backer rod ( or whatever you use to post) with the tape, so that the sticky side of the tape is facing out, was the best solution for us. The backer rod sticks to the ear, and sets in the pocket perfectly. Posting was a pain in the beginning and honestly made me regret cropping, but once we got the process down it had become a lot easierx we are far from done with Lilo at 15 weeks but she is definitely doing better with positing and has not managed to get any post out since we started reverse taping.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find that when I used that spray, it would leave a gooey residue on her ear and ear pocket, and would for some reason cause an excess of earwax to mix with the glue residue. It definitely works, but I find reverse wrapping your backer rod ( or whatever you use to post) with the tape, so that the sticky side of the tape is facing out, was the best solution for us. The backer rod sticks to the ear, and sets in the pocket perfectly. Posting was a pain in the beginning and honestly made me regret cropping, but once we got the process down it had become a lot easierx we are far from done with Lilo at 15 weeks but she is definitely doing better with positing and has not managed to get any post out since we started reverse taping.
What tape do you use??

· Registered
3 Posts
What tape do you use??
Took me so long to find good tape. I used most types available in Shopper and Rexall here in Toronto, most were waterproof tape and some were too stiff and I didn’t even bother trying it as I felt the edges would slice into Lilo’s ear. Best tape we found so far is from a brand called MANSFIELD ADHESIVE TAPE. They come in 1in widths and 1/2 inch, I’ve been using the 1in and it’s been working amazing. Amazon sells it for something like $22 which is outrageous, but you can find it at medical supply stores online for ~$4.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[/Q
Took me so long to find good tape. I used most types available in Shopper and Rexall here in Toronto, most were waterproof tape and some were too stiff and I didn’t even bother trying it as I felt the edges would slice into Lilo’s ear. Best tape we found so far is from a brand called MANSFIELD ADHESIVE TAPE. They come in 1in widths and 1/2 inch, I’ve been using the 1in and it’s been working amazing. Amazon sells it for something like $22 which is outrageous, but you can find it at medical supply stores online for ~$4.
Which online store do you use?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts