Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mannfeld
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the situation....

Torque is a 3 yr old male ex-conformation dog. He has a bunch of blue ribbons for his efforts, however the breeder trained him rather specifically for the ring and not so much as a house pet. Evidently his potty training was he could go kind of when he wanted simply by going outside (when at breeder's house) or anywhere (when at kennel where breeder works).

This manifests itself in that he will not "Tell me" when he has to go. Typically we go for a walk early in the morning and again before bed time and he typically goes potty (both) on each walk.

We went on our walk this morning and he didi his typical #1 & #2 business. An hour ago, while I was working in the garage (tuck under style at my townhouse) and the door between house/garage was open, my boy went upstairs (out of sight and sound) and took 2 MAJOR dumps. This has happened before (a bunch of times) and it may well be the deal breaker for keeping him.

The only suggestion for training this out was to stick paper match up his butt to promote anal/rectal activity and then saying "Go potty" taking him outside and follow with massive positive reenforcement. Evidently that didn't work so well.

FWIW, he is kennel/crated trained.

Suggestions?

TIA

Torque's roommate, Michael

·
Registered
939 Posts
PLEASE don't stick anything up your dogs rectum. You could do serous damage.

I would start back to square one, like if you had a new puppy. If he's having accidents after two walks a day, its evident that he needs to go out more frequently. I would set a timer (perhaps on your phone) and take him out every two to three hours. Proceed to throw a PARTY (a treat, lots of praise and loving) when he does his business outside. If you can't watch him like a hawk, leash him to your side or crate him until hes trustworthy. Its not the dogs fault he doesn't know what you want from him, you just need to show him :) Set that boy up for success! That'll be your easiest road to having a great dog.

Also recognize that you cannot punish him after the fact- if he has an accident, ignore him and clean it up.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Take it back to basics- potty training 101

Don't ever punish, yell, etc at a dog for making an accident in the house. Most of the time it's the owners fault.

Torque is a beautiful dog and you are very lucky to have him.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
This will work for any age of dog no matter what back ground if you are consistent and do not give up just because he is an adult he still has not been taught what you want him to do.
House breaking 101 :
If you take them out on about a 6 ft leash it helps keep them focused tell them go potty ,hurry up or what ever words you want to use just use the same words each time. Stand in one spot let them go all around you till they find the spot then Praise like it is the greatest thing you ever saw. If they do not go in about 20 minutes go back in and crate them or tie them to you them go back out in about 30 minutes.pups need to go out after naps,playing, eating & drinking 1st thing in the morning last thing at night depending on the age of the pup you may need to take them out at night too. Always use a pet urine enzyme to clean up all traces of urine or feces you can use a black light to find all traces. It takes about 3-6 months of contestant training to house break a pup the more accidents they have the longer it takes. Hang a bell on the door you go out you ring it until the pup gets the idea how to ring it yes sometimes they ring it to go look at a squirrel but its a phase they go though you just have to go though it with them. Do not forget to praise each time they go to reinforce the potty training. If you are consistent you will also have a pup/dog that will go potty on command comes in handy when it rains,snow, is icy, on a trip at night . People will think you are a amazing trainer too. Good Luck with your new dog.
PS: My Doberman Buddy never asks to go out I ask him periodically if he wants to go potty(use what ever word you are going to call it same word each time.) Now on the other hand my Dachshund first would ring the bell on the back door but then decided talking works better she growl talks when she wants out. Every dog has its own way of asking Buddy does stare at me,sometimes so I ask him if he wants out he goes to the back door. Good Luck

·
Registered
675 Posts
2 walks a day one in early morning and again before bed is not enough I have found out every 4/5 hours works well with an adult Dobe for me. Except for the evening when last time out is about 11pm until 6am. Is that the only exercise he is getting just these 2 walks a day he is just 3 years old

When I worked the majority of the time I was able to come home on my lunch hour to let my Dobes out if for some reason I couldn''t my neighbor who my Dobes knew would let them out.

Just imagine if you were restricted to 2 bathroom breaks a day I know it wouldn't have worked for me.

Torque may be telling you my Dobes would go stand by the door, sometimes just stand there and look at me. My current Male will sometimes bark. A lot of the time I would ask
do you want to go out I'm sure sometimes they needed to & other times they just wanted to be out. Always praise him.

Good luck it will work out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts