Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 yr old F takes DES(once a wk). I gave her her dose(1mg) Last monday. On Wednesday I noticed her mammary glands seemed to look a little bigger . I thought maybe the way she was sitting made them appear larger,so I dismissed it. By Thursday night,one side of her belly(mammary gland),the inside of her thigh,and her back end were swollen. She looked like she was coming into a heat! I took her to an emergency vet hospital where they told me they had no clue what was wrong with her(that cost me $305.00!) They looked at some fluid they collected from the site and said "found nothing". All vitals were normal.
I asked for and got a scrip for Cephalexin and am hoping that does the trick. My dog was spayed at 1 year old. Has anyone experienced this with a dog on DES?

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Side effects of DES do include signs of being in heat. My 7 year old was actually whoring herself to all the young boys at the nail groomers...

Does propalin not work on your girl ? There are far fewer side effects, however some dogs, including mine, even need both.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
my old girl was on DES most of her life - at one point she was leaking badly and the vet increased dosage - she got swollen like she was going into heat - even though she was spayed years before.

I agree with emily - I think other options might be better

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update

After searching here on this forum and other dog health sites, i think I know what the causes is: My girl is a flank sucker. The vet was right about the swelling/fluid build up. It WAS caused by trauma--- from the dog sucking on her flank to the point of separating skin from muscle tissue! She is absolutely fine in all aspects,but now has a pouch of fluid swinging from her gut! I hope this will reabsorb into her system. She's not a bored dog. Runs EVERY day. We train a few times a week. My dogs have a better social life than I do!. She is not stressed,or anxious. So what gives???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts