Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

3 years old. Plood panel needed?

811 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  eegreen 
#1 ·
Hello,
Zeus will be turning 3 next month and has never had a blood panel done. It's not cheap = $120. He seems to be a healthy young boy but I just thought it would be nice to have for his records. Thing is, money is tight (as it is for everyone, I'm sure) and I'd like some opinions. Do you think I should get it done or should I wait until he gets older?

#2 ·
Honestly, this breed is riddled with health problems I would not wait. When I got Chase I had him x rayed, full blood panel (including endocrine), and ultra sound his heart. This year he is going for a blood panel again, and a holter. He is 3.7 years today.

#4 ·
Of all the diseases, Liver disease is the one you want to catch early through a routine blood panel...catching & treating it early appears to give a really really good chance at avoiding an early death sentence. Once symptoms appear...it can be too late to do more than steal extra months. ...and it's very costly treatment once the damage has been done.

Set a jar in a prominent place, and try to set aside $10- $20 each week to put in it...and top it up with money saved each time you skip buying something you normally might that is not an essential. If you have kids...get them involved, by seeing if they would be willing to forego say, a candy bar and instead, put that money into the blood jar. For the adults...perhaps skip a take away coffee...or a lunch item. You'll be surprised how quickly it can add up.

#5 · (Edited)
My male, Rush, was diagnosed with liver disease at just 3 years old because high liver values came up on routine bloodwork and sent up a red flag. Early diagnosis gives you the best possible chance of extending lifespan through treatment. He *appeared* perfectly healthy at the time, everyone was shocked. IMO, bloodwork should be done annually and is well worth the price.

#6 ·
I get one done some time between 2 and 3 and then when they hit 6 or 7 every year.

Reactions: Zeus's Mommy
#7 ·
Ok thanks for the opinions. I've got $100 saved up already so I think I may as well go through with it. Especially after reading about liver problems and such. I'm almost afraid to, knowing it might bring some bad news is something is lerking asymptomatic at the moment. Of course, it's better to know now and treat if needed. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Zeus thanks you too :)

#9 ·
I would do a cbc and chemisty panel. It will test thyroid as well as give you white and red blood cell counts, bun, creatinine, and so on.... it's one of the most widely used and gives you one of the best whole body "views" of platelet counts, liver function, and things of that nature.
(Must be time for bed! I'm being so vague lol)

#11 ·
I also run a senior panel on both dogs at least once a year. In my opinion, it's worth the money to catch stuff early.

#12 ·
We just had the senior panel done this past summer on Indy when he turned 3. We've also been watching his thyroid levels since he was a year old. Levels have been slowly declining and the latest panel confirmed hypothyroidism so he's on Soloxine now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.