Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfie has been wonderful in so many aspects of his training, and is currently attending puppy socialization classes. The only area that is having issues is his walking,which happens for 30 minutes in the morning, and 40 minutes in the evening. I'd go longer if this issue was dealt with a bit better!

He starts out great, happily prancing at my side, ecstatic to be walking but glued to me. Now, as the walk progresses, he slowly gravitates to the end of his leash, and about 15 minutes in that ends up in him tugging.

He seems intensely focused, and barely responds to any commands or excitable sounds from me (the trainer said "Be Disneyland!"), and despite all the cooing and clapping and treats there's no recognition. Normally just saying his name gets a happy stumpy-tail-wiggle and charge.

I've stood like a tree when there's leash tension, and he sits and looks at me, or stares dead ahead standing still. We start again, same tugging. A pop of the leash when there's tension makes him take a little slower pace, for all of 30 seconds.

Thoughts? He's too young for a martingale/choke/prong, so I've picked up a head collar to try that out. I hear they have issues, but I'm a little bit desperate for some change. I've tried different routes, changing directions, and all the tricks my trainer's suggested so far.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I'd ditch the head healter myself on this breed especially and a puppy. I'd go with a no pull harness if you need extra help right now. I would not expect my 3 month old to be trained to walk nicely yet either :)

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not expect my 3 month old to be trained to walk nicely yet either :)
When should I begin expecting that from him, in your experience? I'm not a very big person (5'3", 130), so for me I'm nervous about not dealing with this early and having a tugger when he's big enough to drag me.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
He starts out great, happily prancing at my side, ecstatic to be walking but glued to me. Now, as the walk progresses, he slowly gravitates to the end of his leash, and about 15 minutes in that ends up in him tugging.

I've stood like a tree when there's leash tension, and he sits and looks at me, or stares dead ahead standing still. We start again, same tugging. A pop of the leash when there's tension makes him take a little slower pace, for all of 30 seconds.

Thoughts? He's too young for a martingale/choke/prong, so I've picked up a head collar to try that out. I hear they have issues, but I'm a little bit desperate for some change. I've tried different routes, changing directions, and all the tricks my trainer's suggested so far.
Leash training requires work. It is something you will have to work on constantly. You could walk around for 30 minutes and literally get no where because you are walking in circles to get him to watch you and will have to do this 20 times until he finally gets it.
You cant expect one correction and he's good for the rest of the walk.

I would use a regular flat collar and keep doing what the trainer suggested. It's going to take TIME.
When you stop because of tension, call him to you, give him a treat. Teach him, stopping means come and sit and watch me.
More treats, less leash popping. You want him paying attention to you, not 10 feet ahead.

If hes not interested in the treats, you need better treats.

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
I have had a lot of suggestions to change directions when there's tension on the leash.
To not give the dog any recognition while she is to far away from you but lots of it when the dog is close to you.

this leads to a LOT of zig zaging!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Plenty of good advise above. You are off to a great start 2 walks daily! I would keep that up. No matter which way you choose or a combination of a few techniques it takes practice, time and consistency. I am 4'11" and weighed 98lbs when Kyrah was younger so you should be good. :) If I only walked my dogs once a month how would I expect them to behave? Thats why IMO the more I walk them the better we get especially with different situations that arise...loose dogs, cats, squirrels, motorcycles, etc...

·
Registered
63 Posts
When should I begin expecting that from him, in your experience? I'm not a very big person (5'3", 130), so for me I'm nervous about not dealing with this early and having a tugger when he's big enough to drag me.
I had great success with the sensation harness at this age. I do think it helped to train as well. Our older dog that was trained on the sensation as a puppy doesn't pull on walks as an adult. I was able to work a lot with our dobe (now 9 months) and she responded very well to clicker training, especially at that age. She would walk very well for most walks on a flat collar. As she has gotten older, the rest of the world has gotten more enticing and we are working on it all again though ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
the gentle leader might help i found it helped me pretty quickly. but i didn't like putting it on so i went to a martingale. she is almost 6 months now and when she hear the chain squeezing she will correct herself. when it's busy outside and/or quiet I found that at night she is very very very alert and any movement or sound will grab her attention and she will go in defence mode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts