Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Willamette Valley Schutzhund Club is hosting a seminar this weekend with Dean Calderon, world class competitor and was the world team captain. I signed Cher up for all three days....gawd I hope I can last that long! For anyone in Oregon, it's also open to spectators (or even more participants) for a fee.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Julie, who cropped Cher's ears? I really like them, they arent to long, they are very nice.

Edited to add: Sorry for going off subject.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Julie, who cropped Cher's ears? I really like them, they arent to long, they are very nice.
Thanks, but I couldn't tell you since I'm not her breeder. Her breeder Elaine is a member of this forum though and she could tell you.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow.....I'm exhausted. The first day of the seminar was over 11 hours long. It was amazing. Cher did incredible and everyone (especially me) was REALLY impressed with her. She was the only doberman there, all the other dogs were GSD's, and she did the breed proud. She caught on to the obedience so fast the instructor was amazed, and her protection work was intense and very impressive for a completely green dog. The instructor was amazed to learn that she had no german working lines in her pedigree! LOL I can't wait for the next two days....but I'm off to bed now for some much needed sleep.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Thats awesome Julie. Way to go Cher! :) I'm sure you will be REALLY worn out by Sunday night! ha ha. But don't forget to take pictures!!!

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Woohoo Cher! That's so great Julie, you must be proud of your sweet girl. I agree - if there are no photos, we'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Holy cow I'm too old for this! LOL It was another 11 hour day at the schutzhund seminar. I'm SO FREAKING proud of Cher I can hardly stand it! She is doing INCREDIBLE!

Honestly before yesterday she knew absolutely no commands. The only thing she knew was her name. Yesterday she learned to sit and down in one 15 minute session. She literally not only does both, but does them with incredible speed, on the first command, and without me touching her. Dean (the instructor) was very impressed with how incredibly fast and reliable she was (especially with her down, which is harder to teach an adult dog). She literally slaps the ground on her down, goes down all the way and already stays there until I release her.

Yesterday he also worked her on protection. He started with just having me come out to the field and stand on the side while he worked another dog (an uninterested 12 month old GSD). While he was trying to get the young GSD to spark some interest Cher was throwing herself with all her might at him barking her fool head off. When he finally turned to her to work her she showed an INCREDIBLE and very confident drive, never backed down, and tugged with all her might on his tug on a leash that he swung, teased, and tugged her with. Today she was even sharper on obedience, if that's possible, and she showed so much drive in protection that he used a full bite sleeve with her. He started with the tug and she put everything she had into it. When he worked her with the sleeve she hit it with a nice full bite and pulled and tugged on it HARD. She didn't let go, and when he slipped his arm out of the sleeve to let her win she ran with it for about 40 feet before she dropped it. She was incredibly proud of herself.

Tomorrow we start tracking, then do obedience and protection once more. I'm a very proud mom, Cher has a huge smile on her face, and we're both very tired. Well, at least I am. If Cher's tired she's not letting on. Gotta luv a doberman's energy, I wish they could learn to share.

I brought my camera and even Donnie, but do you think we actually took any pictures? Somebody video taped most of the day though and they have said they are going to make copies for everyone.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm interested in schutzhund but not quite sure what it is about. It's like a type of guard dog training right?
Schutzhund is a test that was specifically designed for the german shepherd to get a "snapshot" of their temperament and abilities. It tests in obedience, tracking, and courage/protection. Obedience is the foundation of all schutzhund work.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OMG I DID IT!!!! I actually tired a doberman out!!! Apparently three 11 hour days at a schutzhund seminar tires a doberman out! Who knew? I won't even go into how tired I am.

Today was more of the same, Cher was amazing. We started our tracking today also, and she was literally flawless on her laid tracks. I am absolutely beaming. (or at least I will be after I get enough energy to beam after a full nights sleep).

The instructor said Cher should be able to title in schutzhund with no problem. :goodnews:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Julie,

Thanks for the report and nice to hear how much fun you and Cher had. Sounds like a great weekend. Go for the title!!!

Robin

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Way to go Cher! Sounds like she had a great time.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
OMG, Julie

You have me in tears, I am so proud of the two of you!! I am speachless!!
I can't wait to see Cher blow them all away!

Lots of hugs
Elaine

PS Cher's ears were done by Dr Rick Douglas, in BC Canada

Reactions: BackInBlack
1 - 20 of 26 Posts