Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A second Diamond Pet Food manufacturing plant has now had a product recalled due to Salmonella. All previous recalls were manufactured in one plant located in Gaston, South Carolina. This most recent recall, announced late Friday 5/18/12 evening, was from a second Diamond manufacturing facility in Meta, Missouri (confirmed by Deanna of Diamond Customer Service).

Diamond Plant #2, Salmonella

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Nearly a month time lapse between manufacturing and packaging?!?

Every detail of this last Meta, Missouri Diamond Plant recall needs to be noted. There is nearly a month between manufacturing and packaging a couple of the recalled codes. Did they let that slip? Does this happen often? Are they storing the manufactured food in an airtight facility or is it exposed to air so the vitamins are deteriorating even before being packaged for sale? I was never wild about Diamond, but at this point I wouldnt feed a Diamond manufactured food if it was given to me for free!!! IMO, the delay between manufacturing and packaging is more disturbing than the recall. Wow, just wow!!!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every detail of this last Meta, Missouri Diamond Plant recall needs to be noted. There is nearly a month between manufacturing and packaging a couple of the recalled codes. Did they let that slip? Does this happen often? Are they storing the manufactured food in an airtight facility or is it exposed to air so the vitamins are deteriorating even before being packaged for sale? I was never wild about Diamond, but at this point I wouldnt feed a Diamond manufactured food if it was given to me for free!!! IMO, the delay between manufacturing and packaging is more disturbing than the recall. Wow, just wow!!!

Yeah after reading about letting dog food just sit around for weeks waiting to be packaged, using duct tape and cardboard on equipment, and mentioning ingredients in the FDA inspection that arent even supposed to be in any of the foods.
Do I even want to know anything MORE about their facilities?

This is EXACTLY why I make my dogs food myself. All of these companies have lost my trust.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yeah after reading about letting dog food just sit around for weeks waiting to be packaged, using duct tape and cardboard on equipment, and mentioning ingredients in the FDA inspection that arent even supposed to be in any of the foods.
Do I even want to know anything MORE about their facilities?

This is EXACTLY why I make my dogs food myself. All of these companies have lost my trust.
Hank, do you have a link to your recipes that you follow? Do you have to use a bunch of supplements? I don't feed anything manufactured by Diamond, but all that is going on is scary.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hank, do you have a link to your recipes that you follow? Do you have to use a bunch of supplements? I don't feed anything manufactured by Diamond, but all that is going on is scary.
I do not follow any recipies. I feed a raw diet of muscle, bone and organ. with sardines, raw eggs, small scoop of plain greek yogurt
The only supplements I am using at the moment is cod liver oil, and Flea Free
FLEA FREA
But am considering adding bovine colostrum

I have lots of links of raw diet info if you want or if you want to try making your own (non-raw) I bought this book for my mom and it is very good
Dinner PAWsible

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I do not follow any recipies. I feed a raw diet of muscle, bone and organ. with sardines, raw eggs, small scoop of plain greek yogurt
The only supplements I am using at the moment is cod liver oil, and Flea Free
FLEA FREA
But am considering adding bovine colostrum

I have lots of links of raw diet info if you want or if you want to try making your own (non-raw) I bought this book for my mom and it is very good
Dinner PAWsible
Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm not interested in raw at this point but I may download that book on my iTunes account. I feed Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomachs because after trying many high end foods, including grain free, Pro Plan is what mine do best on. I wouldn't mind cooking meals for them some to change it up a bit though. I do add a little cooked meat, eggs, sardines, etc sometimes but I usually never cook them a meal per say. Thanks again!

·
Starchild
170 Posts
Well this blows, I was looking to get "Nature's Domain" (sold through Costco, but apparently very similar to TOTW)- apparently they are made by Diamond.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
Well this blows, I was looking to get "Nature's Domain" (sold through Costco, but apparently very similar to TOTW)- apparently they are made by Diamond.
I was happily feeding Nature's Domain. We switched to Orijen and haven't looked back. I won't go back to feeding any food manufactured by Diamond again.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
Boo, I don't know where to buy Orijen in Canada.
Well, it's manufactured there, so hopefully it's not too hard to find! Here's the place on their website to look for places to buy: Orijen

Reactions: KoaRad

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Ugh...we have been feeding TOTW and Rowan has done great on it. After the last recall I started thinking about switching, but this just put the icing on the cake. Gotta start looking into a new food now that's not gonna break the bank with all my fosters :/

Anybody fed Nutrisource? My food store is selling it now as a similar product to TOTW but I haven't heard much about it. I gotta think quick because a bag of dog food doesn't last long around here.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
We also fed TOTW. Currently switching Indy to Performatrin Ultra grain free. It's made in Canada for Pet Valu. Indy's doing well on it so far.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ugh...we have been feeding TOTW and Rowan has done great on it. After the last recall I started thinking about switching, but this just put the icing on the cake. ... I gotta think quick because a bag of dog food doesn't last long around here.
Yep. Horrible for me, too, b/c my dogs have performed so well on the TOTW, better than even on Innova EVO, which I stopped buying after P&G bought 'em out. Thought about changing, but decided I was willing to keep buying the TOTW--until now.

We're beginning the transition over to Blue Buff. Evolutionary today. I always wondered how the guaranteed analysis on a bag of TOTW indicated such high quality food, but yet the price was so reasonable, relatively speaking. Now we know.

There's no free lunch--pardon the pun!

Reactions: SpecialK

·
Registered
667 Posts
OH my. We too feed our boy TOTW grain free. Any suggestions on what to feed him now? Is Natures Variety Instincts grain free a good choice??

Thank you in advance

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Yep. Horrible for me, too, b/c my dogs have performed so well on the TOTW, better than even on Innova EVO, which I stopped buying after P&G bought 'em out. Thought about changing, but decided I was willing to keep buying the TOTW--until now.

We're beginning the transition over to Blue Buff. Evolutionary today. I always wondered how the guaranteed analysis on a bag of TOTW indicated such high quality food, but yet the price was so reasonable, relatively speaking. Now we know.

There's no free lunch--pardon the pun!
I cold-turkey'ed Elka from TOTW wetlands to Blue Buffalo grain free(rotating through the flavors). It's $10-$13 more for a bag that is 6 pounds smaller, which I really don't dig, but otherwise, I'm happy with it. I guess. Her poop is okay! I got a free bandanna from the store when I just bought a new bag. :lol2:

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
OH my. We too feed our boy TOTW grain free. Any suggestions on what to feed him now? Is Natures Variety Instincts grain free a good choice??

Thank you in advance
I cold-turkey switched my two from Nature's Domain (pretty much identical to TOTW) to Orijen regular adult. They did great with the transition and are doing wonderful on Orijen.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Meadow Cat thank you so much!! I will check if the commercial pets stores (Petco and Petsmart) around our house carries Orijen. I will look for Orijen sellers through google.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
Meadow Cat thank you so much!! I will check if the commercial pets stores (Petco and Petsmart) around our house carries Orijen. I will look for Orijen sellers through google.
Petco and Petsmart don't carry it. However, you can get a large bag with free delivery on Mr.Chewy.com for $67. That's pretty much what I pay locally. Keep in mind that Orijen is significantly higher in calories, so you will be feeding less than you fed on TOTW. For example, Simon was eating 4 cups a day on Nature's Domain, and is now eating 3 cups a day. Shanoa went from 3 cups to 2 cups. It's still more expensive for me, but not as much as you'd think.

Reactions: GingerGunlock

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Well, I may have spoken too soon about the food switch from TOTW going well. Indy's colitis is back with a vengeance. He had a couple of soft serve poops yesterday and this evening the bloody mucous diarrhea he gets when it acts up. He has an appointment with the vet in the am. When I spoke to her, she thinks the Performatrin Ultra may be too rich for him as I upped the ratio this week (and I was switching very slowly). It does have higher protein content than the TOTW and the protein is turkey, duck and fish. The TOTW bison and venison is the only food that he has ever done well on. He never had any bouts with his colitis while on TOTW. He will be on bland diet for a few days but then I have no idea what to feed him. Chicken bothers him and lamb is even worse. Foods we have tried in the past are Natural Balance, Solid Gold and Wellness.

Is there another grain free food with bison and/or venison that is not made by Diamond? I hate to think that I may have to go back to TOTW and take a chance but this chronic colitis is not good for him either. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts