Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 10 year old Lab/Husky mix has aggressive bone cancer and she won't live much longer. Our 9 1/2 year old Doberman Dexter is getting older. We have had three Dobies since 1998. We love the breed.
We live in Asheville NC.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a Doberman breeder in North Carolina or even South Carolina?
We most likely would not be ready for the pups until next year.

We would even be willing to drive to our home state of Indiana or Ohio.

Thank you all in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Please read up about littermate syndrome and same sex aggression in Dobermans. You do NOT want to buy two puppies, and you do not want two male Dobermans. In some breeds it is not problem - but Dobermans are not one of those breeds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please read up about littermate syndrome and same sex aggression in Dobermans. You do NOT want to buy two puppies, and you do not want two male Dobermans. In some breeds it is not problem - but Dobermans are not one of those breeds.
Please read up about littermate syndrome and same sex aggression in
We have always had a male and a female since 1998. I never knew about the littermate syndrome. I appreciate your pointing that out to me

Dobermans. You do NOT want to buy two puppies, and you do not want two male Dobermans. In some breeds it is not problem - but Dobermans are not one of those breeds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have always had a male and a female. I did not know about the littermate syndrome and appreciate you telling me about this.

·
Super Moderator
21,997 Posts

·
Big Lil pup
6,473 Posts
Hi vett.

Littermate syndrome is a real issue and raising puppies close to the same age can be terribly challenging and should probably be avoided. Same Sex Aggression, on the other hand, is very serious. Full blown SSA in Dobermans can lead to maiming or even death. This can include injury to household members as well.

I have maintained a 2 Dobe dog household under these conditions. I had 2 boys who were best of friends for years. One day one of them decided that his "brother" had to die. This was completely out of the blue. Our easy going 3 dog home changed overnight. From then on it was "crate and rotate" until the older boy died of natural causes. It was very stressful and even dangerous. Decades later, I still carry the physical scars of singlehandedly breaking up their first fight which very well might have ended in the death of one of them.

To compound the issues of two same sex littermates, there is some anecdotal experience suggesting that Littermate syndrome actually increases the possibility and intensity of Same Sex Aggression.

Lastly... I cannot imagine that any reputable breeder would ever hand over 2 littermates, much less 2 male siblings, to the same household.

In any case.

Best to you in your search!

Love to hear any updates.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi vett.

Littermate syndrome is a real issue and raising puppies close to the same age can be terribly challenging and should probably be avoided. Same Sex Aggression, on the other hand, is very serious. Full blown SSA in Dobermans can lead to serious maiming or even death. This can include injury to household members as well.

I have maintained a 2 Dobe dog household under these conditions. I had 2 boys who were best of friends for years. One day one of them decided that his "brother" had to die. This was completely out of the blue. Our easy going 3 dog home changed overnight. From then on it was "crate and rotate" until the older boy died of natural causes. It was very stressful and even dangerous. Decades later, I still carry the physical scars of singlehandedly breaking up their first fight which very well might have ended in the death of one of them.

To compound the issues of two same sex littermates, there is some anecdotal experience suggesting that Littermate syndrome actually increases the possibility and intensity of Same Sex Aggression.

Lastly... I cannot imagine that any reputable breeder would ever hand over 2 littermates, much less 2 male siblings, to the same household.

In any case.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
Hi vett.

Littermate syndrome is a real issue and raising puppies close to the same age can be terribly challenging and should probably be avoided. Same Sex Aggression, on the other hand, is very serious. Full blown SSA in Dobermans can lead to serious maiming or even death. This can include injury to household members as well.

In any case.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Thank you John. I had not ever heard of this because we had never looked into taking two at one time. We have had 2 female Dobes and 1 male. Not all at the same time. I understand now and have been reading about this since last night. I appreciate you all bringing this to my attention. Thank you again and we will NOT be getting 2 at the same time. We WILL take your advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts