Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Great photos for this month and a fairly close poll! Big congrats to Kansadobe with an excellent shot of a Working Doberman!

The theme for April will be: "Dilutes Only (including Albinos)"

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
First, I want to thank you for selecting my picture for March.

I think you are making a huge mistake in even considering promoting a genetic defect like albinism on a calendar that preresents this forum. If people choose to own or rescure them, then that is their business and I have no problem with that. However, White/Albino is a genetic defect and not an acceptable color for a Doberman(n) anywhere in the world and you should NOT be promoting them.

Just my strong and very expereinced opinion.

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
Congratz KansaDobe...it did strike me as very strange that you (Dax) would want a picture of an "albino" or even blue/fawn Doberman (no offense to those that have rescued them). If they aren't accepted in the breed standard, why would they be in a breed specific magazine? Do you also want pics of "Warlock" dobes? It just doesn't make sense..

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I think you are making a huge mistake in even considering promoting a genetic defect like albinism on a calendar that preresents this forum. If people choose to own or rescure them, then that is their business and I have no problem with that. However, White/Albino is a genetic defect and not an acceptable color for a Doberman(n) anywhere in the world and you should NOT be promoting them
I second this.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Umm "no offense" reptilehoundz but you don't know what your talking about if you don't think blues and fawns are acceptable colours.
Wanted to add if we are not allowed to "promote" albino dobes, then we shoukdnt be allowed to have pics of byb dogs since we wouldn't want to promote that either. This is a fun calendar. People like to take the fun out of things.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Umm "no offense" reptilehoundz but you don't know what your talking about if you don't think blues and fawns are acceptable colours.
Wanted to add if we are not allowed to "promote" albino dobes, then we shoukdnt be allowed to have pics of byb dogs since we wouldn't want to promote that either. This is a fun calendar. People like to take the fun out of things.
Agree...but Albinos aren't dilutes, so I don't understand grouping them together? Shouldn't they be allowed to compete for any of the months? It would be sorta like having a "BYB only" month...maybe the wording could have been a bit different.

Congrats to the winner! It's a fantastic photo :)

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts

The calendar contest is for DT members to have fun submitting pics of their dogs. Whether people like it or not albinos exist through no fault of their own, same as the oversized, mismarked, otherwise out of standard dogs rescued by forum members.

Besides that I can only think of 2 active members of DT that have or had an Albino one being myself so I don't think we will be overwhelmed with entries of albinos.

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
You're right, that was a misguided statement on my part. I still think it's strange...but I'm not trying to take the fun out of it. I guess the calendar isn't a breed statement, so you have my apologies.

·
Alpha
2,797 Posts
Besides that I can only think of 2 active members of DT that have or had an Albino one being myself so I don't think we will be overwhelmed with entries of albinos.
No kidding..lol at the drama, even in principal. It's a calendar contest ffs.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
First, I want to thank you for selecting my picture for March.

I think you are making a huge mistake in even considering promoting a genetic defect like albinism on a calendar that preresents this forum. If people choose to own or rescure them, then that is their business and I have no problem with that. However, White/Albino is a genetic defect and not an acceptable color for a Doberman(n) anywhere in the world and you should NOT be promoting them.

Just my strong and very expereinced opinion.
I absolutely agree with you comment...Promoting a genetic defect is absurd.

·
Censored
716 Posts
Congrats Kansa :)
I think DT is just being PC... Like Dobiejazz said, there aren't too many active members with albino dobes. If a new member pops on, posts a pic of their albino then who is going to vote for that one? If it would even be selected by the mods to go to the top 10. This is a democracy after all. Let's just see where it goes and hope for many entries of fawns and blues :)
Though in the event an albino dobe did win... I think a disclaimer in the calendar would be warranted.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Congratulations.. KansaDobe...spectacular photo.. Another hard choice.
I for one, am anxious to see more fawns and blues. I remember a 'rescue' calendar contest last year and no one seemed to mind Sofia's entry and in fact, if I remember correctly she was a finalist.. ( always a bride's maid never a bride) I love the monthly contests.. we have some awesome photogs on this Forum not to mention some incredible Dobes and it's a nice way to show case not only talent, but some creative photos..It's a 'forum' and everyone's opinion is important and respected.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts