Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This month it came down to the wire. Congratulations to DobieGal15 and Ammo for their gorgeous rescue/foster photo. Thanks to everyone who submitted all the great photos. This was really a tough month.

July theme - Macro Dobes

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Congratulations. Gorgeous photo.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I think Melbrod's comment was perfect for this photo "We're forever buddies--I can lean on you. And I got your back, man."

They were all winners. Great shots and a tough month. Congrats Ammo and DobbieGal15.

I hope all these guys enter again. Just loved the shots.

·
Got mutt?
13,840 Posts
Great picture! Congratulations.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
THANK YOU!!!! to everyone who entered and voted :) Ammo is absolutely the most wonderful dog in the world.

I actually know a bit of Ammo's history from his former family as they were people that my husband knew quite well. Ammo was purchased from a BYB who's bitch hemorrhaged and died so he was a bottle baby along with 9-12 others. His (young) military family wanted a puppy, but did not want the responsibilities of owning a dog. He was actually STARVED because they refused to buy dog food. He had to search around the home for any little bit of food, scraps, cat food, cat potty, etc in order to eat. They would buy a big bag of the cheapest dog food once a month on pay day and it had to last until the next month. He learned that the <1 year old baby would drop food from the table, and that the trash can was like heaven. The owners were punished several times for animal abuse, neglect, and filthy living condition. Several people witnessed Ammo physically hit and kicked. When the owners were tired of him getting into the trash and going potty inside, they decided to kick him outside onto the 8x8 fenced area in which no one mowed the grass, gave water, or cleaned the poo from the area. Once too many people complained of a noisey crying puppy, he got to come inside again, but was forced to live in his cage for the majority of every day. My husband and I tried numerous times to try and get the owners to surrender him but "they loved him too much". We did in fact call (twice) animal control and the heirarchy of the military to try and get the problem resolved with no luck. After moving away from the area in which Ammo and his family were stationed, I got a call out of the blue telling me that Ammo was just dumped into the local shelter because the husband was deploying and the wife was going back home and didnt want to bring him along- too expensive. My husband immediately packed his bags and drove nonstop for 14 hours to get this guy on Christmas day! He was very shy and unsure of himself for a while, but I can say that he doesnt ever even think about going near the trashcan and eats very well :) We had to convince Ammo that it was okay to get on the bed and now he sleeps right between me and my husband (under the covers of course) . He is the exact definition of love. He is always there following and being a loyal companion, his honest face and cute little wagging nub brighten every day. He listens so well and has >95% recall. Ammo is extremely patient and dedicated to giving so much happiness to his family. I dont know what I did without him and hope I never have to know. I know everyone thinks their dog is the best, but Ammo truely is such a wonderful dog that words cannot express how amazing he is. I couldnt have chosed a better dog if he were hand picked from heaven :) Thank you to everyone who has ever rescued and thanks for listening to this wonderful boy's story!

·
Registered
595 Posts
As usual the pictures this month were all wonderful. I voter for the winner because it really grabbed my heart. Thanks for the background story of Ammo and thanks for being there for him. I think he was sent to you and you are both lucky to have each other. I would love to have a poster of this picture.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Congrats AMMO
Thanks for the background, and I think you guys and AMMO, got the best Christmas gifts ever that day.
When anyone inquires about the Poster Board of AMMO, I will have a wonderful story to share.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Are we going with the B&W or are we going to use the edit version with Ammo coloured in?
Good question- I wonder that too. Not sure who makes the decision but I like both pics & feel honored for either to be in the calendar =)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Wow. Ammo's story really tugs at our hearts. I think that situation may happen a lot more often than I care to believe. I think some people like the romantic idea of owning this big brave beautiful piece of protection but they aren't willing to put in the time, cost and energy needed. Woe to the Doberman that needs any kind of extras like vet bills. Once they are past the adorable puppy face I wonder if owners often expect these guys to raise themselves and to be perfect.

I wonder if other owners of rescued Dobes would share their stories as well. Maybe DobieGal15 could start a thread for all who own rescues to tell their stories.

Maybe every person who donates to DAN in Ammo's name could get a link to a high res file and print a photo for themselves???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts