Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned from reading a few posts that Brees has a Pica disorder. He will hunt around the house for these paper morsels and eat them. Later we see him with something hanging from his butt. I get a paper towel and gently pull and it can be a foot long of what looks like paper and feces together. He goes out to the potty and because its so long he cannot pass all of it. We have picked up all waste baskets in the house, keep all bathroom doors closed, and have the garbage where he can't reach it. It only takes him a second to get at the stuff. I read an article that said to put hot pepper on something to deter the eating but tissue is a little different. He loves rope toys and I let him have those until they start to fray. Sometimes when he has this thing hanging from his butt he starts to whine are bark to get our attention to help remove it. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
8,434 Posts
I can feel your pain. Roxy has had this monkey on her back her entire life. She is now 6 yrs. old. She will seek out papertowels and tissues whenever and wherever she can. We no longer leave TP out as she will eat it, so inside the cabinet drawer it stays. When leaving the office where the paper shredder is kept the office chair must be placed in front of the shredder. We have been doing this for 6 yrs. so we are really good at remembering not to leave anything in her sight.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. Lucy has recently started eating occasional kleenex if they are accessible from a garbage, ie in the home office. She had not done this since she was a puppy but just recently started again (she's 2 1/2). I have since hid any of the garbages that she could access, ie in office or bathrooms and fortunately, she hasen't been going for kleenex boxes or anything like that.

But she is also a sucker/kneader with her toys and I have read that may be related to PICA. I did not know this tissue thing could be related to that too.

Sorry, I do not have any words of advice. But I can definitely relate to some of what you are experiencing!

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts
Is this new behavior? Have you consulted with your vet at all?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Otto loved paper products. He would always bring the item to me before eating it, so if it was a simple kleenex, I would usually let him have it. He really liked business cars and tags from newly purchased clothing too. :rolleyesww:

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,325 Posts
Baron loves napkins and the occasional tissue or paper towel. But I am lucky in that he doesn't eat them. Just chews them up and comes looking for me so he can show me what he did! He doesn't even chew up toys anymore. Just napkins.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Baron loves napkins and the occasional tissue or paper towel. But I am lucky in that he doesn't eat them. Just chews them up and comes looking for me so he can show me what he did! He doesn't even chew up toys anymore. Just napkins.
Those Briarwood boys!!!! :roflmao:

From the moment I got Bacchus he has been a paper shredder. Tissues, napkins, paper towels....pretty much anything soft paper. Doesn't eat these things just shreds them. Looks like another thing Baron and Bacchus share.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
personally I wodn't consider that PICA or full blown pica. Almost every dog I've known will eat tissue, napkins, paper towels. Now if the dog eats OTHEr odd object, I'd say yes.

My Vizsla, havoc, was thrilled to find that they'd installed a doggy dispenser just for him in the hotel room this weekend:

kleenex - YouTube

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Tissues?
I feel your pain.[/SIZE]
First glance thought that was an e-collar. LOL

My daughter scared me to death when she was a baby- she was in her high chair eating & had gotten hold of a paper napkin & was chewing on it & gagging
in the time it took me to turn my head.

Paper product eating is in rock/sock territory to me. I'd move heaven & earth to stop that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wouldn´t worry too much. Linda did that, too. With blocking access to any kind of paper and distracting her with other things her obsession subsided. There is a marrow bone and a blanket she is always allowed to chew in the house, that´s enough now. Outside she is still hunting for twigs to chew and eat them, well, we are working on it....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts