Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Beam Me Up, Scotty
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience? I know it is highly undesirable, but we found a boy on CL where the owner is seriously considering taking him to a shelter. Owner surrenders only get 3 days! Our male now is pretty submissive, he backs down at the park. I just feel so bad. But he looks like a sweetie! Any ideas on introducing them? We've fostered other males before and he didn't seem to mind. I am just curious.

Thanks in Advance :)

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts
If the birthdate listed in your profile is accurate, your dog isn't even a year old yet. Puppies generally get along with everyone. Male/male aggression doesn't usually develop until maturity. Please don't risk it. It's very likely that it will end in disaster.

·
Beam Me Up, Scotty
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The birthday is wrong! I am a failure! lol. He was born in 2010, and we got in him 2011. That's probably what confused me. I know he is still young though. I was wanting to foster him, I started a group on FB for dobie owners in my area, and posted him on there as well. I just thought I could try it first. I am no expert though, thats why I asked for help :)

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts
Sorry - didn't realize you were just looking at fostering. If you can keep them separate at all times, that's a different situation. Like GK said, I would try to work with a reputable rescue group.

Reactions: Sherryh and KMC

·
Beam Me Up, Scotty
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fayetteville, NC. I've looked up a few rescues! I was open to both, keeping him, fostering, whichever. I just couldn't let them have him pts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
# do not intoduce the new dog at home other dogs domain or territory, a neutral area .. take a camping trip let them get used to each over a period of a few days, first try long tiring walks, then introduce play, then start feeding them together, feed the new dog last at first, do not share toys and do not give the new dog special attention the other dog will pick up on this and respond negatively

Do a google search for advice most people recommend against it

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
If you're an experienced pet owner and just want to get him to find him a good home it could work. I would keep the two separated at all times. It would be better to have a rescue in the area help though. Where are you?
This.

I live with two males and while one is quite submissive and the other is not really pushy at all I am forever on guard about the two of them (who are VERY rarely together). I don't think it's worth the stress and potential danger for each dog to keep two males long-term unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Is Gunnar neutered?

I would definitely foster him for a while if your intentions are to keep him because dyanmics could change in 3 months when he is fully settled in, comfortable, and confident. There are 2 males that my male dobe lives with and my boyfriend has a male dog that he sees all the time, however I watch their body language like a hawk and they are never left unsupervised together. It's not an ideal situation because you are always on guard, but for me personally I prefer male dogs and will have multiple males together at some point. I just happen to have 2 females and 1 male right now.

·
Beam Me Up, Scotty
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys for all the advice! We should be picking him up later today. If all goes well a man not far from us lost his dobie to DCM a few months ago, and he will be meeting him this evening.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It does work sometimes. I would not do it again. It is stressful to be on guard all the time.
If you can foster great until a Doberman Rescue can find a forever home.
Have them meet on neutral ground.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thank you for helping, and here's hoping the stars align and this boy finds his match today!

Just in case it doesn't work out this time, I would suggest only fostering this boy until you can find him a match; and while fostering, separate, crate, rotate to avoid all possible altercations. You don't want to create behavior problems for his eventual owner while trying to save him.

Personally, living with two males is manageable, but not preferable for anyone involved. You will always have to watch them constantly and never trust them around each other, which is not the best quality of life for anyone. Is it preferable to having this dog PTS? Sure, but stand firm on the foster option for yours, Gunner's, and this boy's sake.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have not read everyone's post but what if your male is fine but the cl mail is aggressive? Or what if there is something that could get this new dog mad and it flips a switch. Phoenix loves other dogs but all hell breaks loose if someone tries to hump him. I am in the same boat as you. I'm trying to foster a female but it's taken about two weeks becuse I want all info on her before she comes to my house with my dogs. Goodluck!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
If there will be two males in a house, I always suggest separating. I have almost always had two males the past 6 years, and sometimes more. Many times it was doberman multiples but right now I live with a male BC and a male dobe, and over the past year I've had up to as many as 4 other male dogs living here (BC's and frenchies).

NO ONE gets to be with Rah - he can be with berlin, but all the other dogs except cherrybomb are kept away from him constantly and cherry can be by him outside. i just had all four dogs outside to chew on bones - rah is gated on the deck and all the other dogs cannot get near him. if the other male dog is out in the house rah is outside or locked in a bedroom, or crated. if rah is out, the bc is in his crate or outside. plain and simple, there is no meeting.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Unless you are very experienced and super confident in your ability, I would not do it. I had two males about a year and a half apart. They were absolutely the best of buds except twice in their life. Then it was to the death. Horrible for them and worse for me.

Having to separate dogs just isn't fun. It's hard enough when the female comes into season just constantly on the watch. I hated having to separate the boys.

Maybe fostering for a short bit but I agree to introduce them on neutral territory, even a walk in the park.

Thank you for trying to rescue the boy though. Good luck.

Reactions: KMC

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Be vigilant, but calm and low-key. Since you don't know either dog's proclivities (even if you think yours is submissively, that can be misleading in a new situation), don't leave them alone together for even a second, and try to keep their interactions on neutral territory. We 've had many multiple males, but a lifetime of experience. You have a good heart to want to at least save him from death. Good luck!

·
Beam Me Up, Scotty
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is Gunnar neutered?
No, not yet. Come December though... :)

To Everyone else, The man and the doberpup meeting went fantastic! They seemed perfect for each other. We had the boys in the house for a few hours beforehand and they just looked at each other randomly and resumed their comfortable sleeping positions only getting up to check on the cat.

Reactions: ZeldaRules
1 - 20 of 20 Posts