Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dilute doberman i picked up yesterday (i picked him out when he was 2 days old so I was so happy for this moment!) ...anyway, right now as a pup, he has 2 different eye colors. Mom is akc euro, dad is American no papers but we seen both.
Ive never seen this.
Have you?
Do you think theyll stay that way?
As a dilute he would have had lighter eyes anyway, but now im very confused lol. This is my 1st post. I will try to post a photo!
Thanks! (And he documented their breeding so i know they are the two that bred. Plus they have a fenced in yard. Theyve had 3 litters prior (this female had 2 of those priors). Male is father of all. Males father was a "silver"/dilute.
Thanks for any input.
Also mom stopped feeding littler so i had to pick up 2wks early (i know) i am supplementing formula into his food to keep him on. And we have contact w/1 litter mate we will continue to let them play and learn. I am an experienced dog owner and have done 2 years of hard studying prior to getting a dobe.
Mom is 85lb, dad is a tad smaller. Do you think he could reach the mothers size?
Thanks!
View attachment 141791
Dog Eye Dog breed Flower Ear

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Your breeder has done you no favors, yikes. It's the BREEDER'S JOB to feed the puppies once they're weaned! Please do not go back to this person for more dogs in the future.

Unfortunately, this photo isn't the greatest. I see eyes that are a bit washed out due to the flash. Can you get a photo in the light outside of the crate?

·
Super Moderator
15,665 Posts
I think you need to have your puppy at the vet and ask. I imagine there are other health concerns with him or her. BTW Dilutes don't have lighter eyes. All color dobermans are supposed to have a dark an eye as possible, at least as dark as the rust markings for red and dilute and on a black dog it should be nearly black.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My moms mini doxie was sold to us at six weeks unweaned. That wasn’t fun 😅 Wishing you the best of luck with your pupper!
One thing we greatly wish we had been able to change with Tiny at that age was she did not get her social skills training she needed with leaving her mother early. We should have had her play with our other dog straight away and somehow play with other puppies so she could learn that stuff. Now she has no social skills and can’t be together with my new dog 😢 So if he can get his skills with other pups and learn bite inhibition it will be so much easier on you! 🤓

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
Your puppy looks to be a blue. Puppy eyes often start out bluish and then change to a brown/dark brown. The darker the better in Dobermans, however, the lighter the coat color, the lighter the eyes tend to be. Your puppy's eyes should end up a medium brown in both of them.
How old is your puppy? Most puppies start to wean from mom by 4 weeks - which is the latest the breeder should start supplementing puppies with a gruel several times a day. I've never weaned later than about 5 weeks as mom is really done with their teeth by then - can't say I blame her! It isn't cheap having to feed puppies 4-5 times a day, but it is part of being a breeder. The fact that your breeder sent them home early is because they didn't want to have to pay money to feed them - I can't imagine how drawn out the poor mother is. I started weaning puppies to a gruel made of milk replacer and soaked and mashed puppy food at 3 1/2 weeks of age - at that point they are also still nursing, but it takes some of the stress off of the mom.
You should still be soaking the puppy food in some warm water for about 2-30 minutes before feeding, and should probably be feeding at least 3 times a day right now - if not 4. They are really too young to be crunching hard food for a few more weeks yet.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My moms mini doxie was sold to us at six weeks unweaned. That wasn’t fun 😅 Wishing you the best of luck with your pupper!
One thing we greatly wish we had been able to change with Tiny at that age was she did not get her social skills training she needed with leaving her mother early. We should have had her play with our other dog straight away and somehow play with other puppies so she could learn that stuff. Now she has no social skills and can’t be together with my new dog 😢 So if he can get his skills with other pups and learn bite inhibition it will be so much easier on you! 🤓
Also, please do not think we purposely bought her unweaned. The breeder lied to us and told us she was eight weeks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Doesn't sound like good genetics imho. Hope you have a good vet! And just as a heads up dilutes tend to have skin issues. You're also going to want to run health tests on your pup as soon as he is old enough, since it doesn't appear his parents got any done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your puppy looks to be a blue. Puppy eyes often start out bluish and then change to a brown/dark brown. The darker the better in Dobermans, however, the lighter the coat color, the lighter the eyes tend to be. Your puppy's eyes should end up a medium brown in both of them.
How old is your puppy? Most puppies start to wean from mom by 4 weeks - which is the latest the breeder should start supplementing puppies with a gruel several times a day. I've never weaned later than about 5 weeks as mom is really done with their teeth by then - can't say I blame her! It isn't cheap having to feed puppies 4-5 times a day, but it is part of being a breeder. The fact that your breeder sent them home early is because they didn't want to have to pay money to feed them - I can't imagine how drawn out the poor mother is. I started weaning puppies to a gruel made of milk replacer and soaked and mashed puppy food at 3 1/2 weeks of age - at that point they are also still nursing, but it takes some of the stress off of the mom.
You should still be soaking the puppy food in some warm water for about 2-30 minutes before feeding, and should probably be feeding at least 3 times a day right now - if not 4. They are really too young to be crunching hard food for a few more weeks yet.
Hello!
He is 6 wks and 4 days. I picked him up 1 day ago.
I immediately put him on milk replacer soaked with the dog food that they also had him on so it wouldn't crunch. :)
Momma gave in on nursing the litter at 2 days before 5 weeks.

Eyes: I am a trained RN (human nurse) and have an associate's as a Vet technician prior to becoming a nurse. So I did evaluate his eyes to see if he may have a blind eye. His pupils dilate and restrict very well.
I am NOT replacing the vet with my knowledge, yesterday was a sunday and 2 different colors wasn't worth an emergency visit. So I was checking out my basic concern in the mean time.
I am very aware dilutes carry a lot of risk for health issues.
Dilutes also can have lighter eyes as adults than say black and reds. Not saying they're blue or super light, but I just originally meant that I was aware dilutes can carry a lighter variation.
I have just never come across a doberman with 2 colors off of the bat.
His eyes will still change.
But this variation seems like it has to carry over into adulthood, right? Theyre two very different colors to start off with LOL.
But yes he will be seeing a vet as soon as they call back to give us our appt. :)
Thank you all for your answers. I am reading them all and seriously taking each answer into account.
I am not claiming to be an expert. I just wanted you to know a bit about me since I am new here.

I am greatful for all helpful answers and opinions! Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't sound like good genetics imho. Hope you have a good vet! And just as a heads up dilutes tend to have skin issues. You're also going to want to run health tests on your pup as soon as he is old enough, since it doesn't appear his parents got any done.
Thank you! Yeah, my preference wasnt a dilute
He will be fixed when it is time. Momma had good lines and is AKC, but dad wasnt AKC . He is more or less our companion only and exercise buddy lol.
We are getting a female from Lipar Land for our dream dobe!

Thank you for your input. I love when people can be helpful without being rude lol.
I am here to love this boy forever, he is our only dog and we own 5 acres of land for him and 1 more (eventually) to roam safely and securely.
I will be getting him into the vet as soon as they call us back w/an appt. :)
We will be doing everything we believe he needs (blood work, etc etc).

·
Premium Member
11,171 Posts
Interesting about the odd eyes--I've been looking at litters, puppies and adult Dobes for 62 or 63 years now and that's the first time I've ever see that.

By the way--I want to clarify something about eye color in a dilute Doberman. Fawns and Blues do not necessarily have lighter eyes according to their coat color. The puppies will have eye color about what you would expect from the parents eye color. My fawn dog was the product of two black and rust Dobermans both of whom had very dark eyes--you'd think "black" not brown when seeing them. That litter was a rainbow litter two black, one red, one fawn and one blue. The blue bitch had black eyes--and threw to her puppies her very black eye. My fawn dog had eyes darker than most red dogs--darker than his rust. The red litter sister had eyes just about the same color of my dog. The puppies in the two litters sired by my fawn all had very dark eyes.

I've seen enough badly bred fawns and blues (and their parents) to tell you that if the parents have lighter eyes (like the fawn who had bright yellow eyes--just like his mother--never saw his father) the dilute puppies will have lighter eye. That's what controls it.

And dilutes may or may not have skin problems--some do and some don't--just like the black or red dogs but what they are at a greater risk for would be CDA (color dilution alopecia) which is hair loss related to their color. And again--not all dilutes have hair loss--my fawn boy lived to be 14 and had a full coat up to the day he died. I've seen and we've had on these forums blue dogs who lived to be old with good coats. That has genetic links and probably complex ones that have never been tracked down.

And that rainbow litter that my fawn was part of was a showline pedigree--three of the five puppies were AKC champions with performance titles, also bred for longevity, and also were LC dogs (the blue bitch and the black dog were almost 11 and almost 12 respectively, the red bitch really never got shown but she was nearly 11 too and a multi champion producer. The other black male was sold as a pet and we have no stats about him.

So I have no idea how your blue puppy ended up with odd colored eyes--I know a bit about Australian Shepherd genetics and they (like a few other breeds can be brown eye, blue eye or odd eyed) but in Dobermans it would be a real fluke. There is not a named disqualification for odd eye but it wouldn't make any difference since your puppy isn't registerable anyway since his sire was not registered.

Nothing to prevent him from being you dog, your friend and your excellent companion.

dobebug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts