Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time Doberman owner, and finding it more difficult than I ever imagined. Samson is a 13 month (almost 14 month) old Doberman, and I have had him since he was 12 weeks old. He has completed beginner and intermediate training at PetsMart, and should begin advanced training soon.

The current issue I am having, is he is holding his urine until he can go inside. I constantly take him out, and he my go a little bit to appease me, and then empties the other gallon when we go inside. I have had him checked for infections, but the vet said he had the cleanest sample she has ever tested.

Would love any suggestions. Is this a normal Dobie behavior, or is mine just stubborn?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
It is always harder to break bad habits. The dog clearly doesn't understand where you want him to go. You will have to walk him more or do what it takes to get him to go outside and them reward him. Once he knows that he is pleasing you, he'll go outside. My dobermans have always been easy to housetrain but they have to know that going is a good thing.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
Welcome! That does sound troubling. Is this a new behavior? Are you using a crate?

You may want to post about your issue in the "Training and Behavior" section, as you'll probably get quite a few more responses.

Reactions: Samson's Way

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!

very odd.

does your boy lift his leg yet to pee?

is he neutered?

Hugz to Samson!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts