Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we have a 13 week male named nitro who we already love to pieces! He had his ears cropped 2 weeks ago by reputable vet who many recommended. The stitches came out today at exactly 14 days, they healed very nicely. The vet recommended for them to hang while the stitches in.

So today the stitches came out and they did the first post for us, and he has an ace bandage around his head to hold them up. Is this normal? He also said take posts out in 5-7 days and see how they look and Leave them loose another 5-7 days and see if they droop at all.

Well from all the research I have done, I know it can take many weeks or months, and if they droop slightly immediately post again.

So my main question is should I keep the first post w the ace bandage? I can attach pic if needed, my phone won't let me upload. Thanks!

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Please attach a pic. I normally tell people to follow a reputable vet's advice, but if they're posted with ACE bandage that would make me nervous. Ace is tight!

I also do not agree with allowing them to be free after only 5-7 days posting. The key is to not let them fall at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no, there is no one in the area who posts!! we had to drive 45 minutes away for the crop and the guy has been doing for over 30 years, his pics were great. my husband and I are learning all we can on how to properly post...here is a pic....the ace bandage is NOT on the ears, but around his head, so he wont mess? I dont know but that would bother me around my neck in 100 degree heat! also the vet did the tape and post for us today too....but from now on we are on our own, unless a problem

Attachments

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
the guy has been doing for over 30 years
I don't know who your vet was and I'm not saying this to bash them but there are many people (like some really sh*tty doberman breeders) who have been doing whatever they do for years... that doesn't mean they're good at it =P

Anyways, I would not leave the ears unposted for 5-7 days and/or until they droop. When reposting I'd leave the ears "free" for 30-45 min at the most. Dreizehn's ears were never unposted for more than 20-30 min.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know who your vet was and I'm not saying this to bash them but there are many people (like some really sh*tty doberman breeders) who have been doing whatever they do for years... that doesn't mean they're good at it =P

I would not leave the ears unposted for 5-7 days and/or until they droop. When reposting I'd leave the ears "free" for 30-45 min at the most. Dreizehn's ears were never unposted for more than 20-30 min.
thanks! I agree! the options are really limited around here and I know what works for some doesnt work for others

·
Registered
8 Posts
A picture would help.

I did 5 days on 1 day off with Lulu and it only took 2 weeks for them to stand and stay standing.

I posted each ear and put one piece of tape in the middle to pull them together.

The only time they should have an ace bandage would be the day of surgery.

Heres a pic of how I had them:

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
no, there is no one in the area who posts!! we had to drive 45 minutes away for the crop and the guy has been doing for over 30 years, his pics were great. my husband and I are learning all we can on how to properly post...here is a pic....the ace bandage is NOT on the ears, but around his head, so he wont mess? I dont know but that would bother me around my neck in 100 degree heat! also the vet did the tape and post for us today too....but from now on we are on our own, unless a problem
My gawd that's a lot of tape. A good post job doesn't even come close to that amount. There is a thread here, do a search on taping ears. It tells you how to and what you will need. My breeder showed me how to post Bacc's ears and he has a long show crop.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
oy vey. Cut back on the tape, way too much. Did you ask your breeder for help? Who is the vet that cropped him?

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you are willing to drive to Columbus I'll show you how we post. Which is the pretty "standard" method from what I've seen. We use backer rods and zones tape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts