I totally agree with your thoughts on that. I would honestly wait until his levels are good and stable for a period of time. However long that might take, whether it be a few months a year or more. It is not impossible to keep two opposite sexes apart when one is in heat. Especially when you don't have small children in the house opening doors and kennels that should remain closed. If I did it, with no casualties you can certainly do it with all your expertise in dogs.He will be neutered hopefully by the end of summer. I think I mentioned it before but after changing vets AGAIN, we found out that Rommel DOES have a thyroid issue and did in fact need supplementation. We are having some issues getting his levels right, he is VERY lethargic right now and just being all around weird. I would like to wait until all of this is straightened out, and the neuter will be next. I just don't feel like it would be in his best interest to mess with it right now, its not about drives or anything.