Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RockhillK9
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am ramping up to have my 1st dobe litter next week. It's been a long time since I have whelped a litter , like 12 years.
I am curious to what I can expect... Are they normally easy whelpers? I have supplies on hand like tube feeding supplies, nipples,bottles, ID bands, towels, bulb syringe, scale, charts, formula, calcium supplement, heating pad for whelping box. I have so much more in emotion and time vested in my Dobermans that I am nervous. Any tips or suggestions appreciated. TIA:2smile:

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Are you on facebook? I have a group for Doberman breeders and mentors and there's a section on what to expect when you're expecting... a litter. Are there any long time Doberman breeders near you that can assist you in the whelping process?

·
RockhillK9
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am on FB
I am members of few groups but didn't see a file for" what to expect. " Again, it's not my first litter so I'm just wondering if the breed has any common surprises or that one thing people may forget that comes in handy. Maybe I'm not in that group you're referring to

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I am on FB
I am members of few groups but didn't see a file for" what to expect. " Again, it's not my first litter so I'm just wondering if the breed has any common surprises or that one thing people may forget that comes in handy. Maybe I'm not in that group you're referring to
There's no file just a post. I think Helia Driscoll posted it if I remember correctly.

·
Super Moderator
21,288 Posts
Hey Linda - we have lots of good breeders in the local chapter club. I'm sure one of them would be a great mentor for you? Have you reached out to any?

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
In general Dobe's are easy whelpers--the puppies are small by comparison to the bitch--the only time (usually) there are problems is if it is a singleton puppy or sometimes only two puppies--and labor does not start properly. Getting an x-ray done, late in pregnancy to count puppies (actually you get to count skulls and spines) to make sure there is a litter and not a singleton puppy is a good idea).

But it looks like you are well equipped already so short of getting a really experienced Dobe breeder (try the local Chapter Club as MeadowCat suggested is a great idea) to come and give you moral and physical support during the whelping is about the only thing I'd add.

Good luck--happy whelping...

dobebug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts