Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to dobermans however have been taking classes to help me deal with training etc... I have a 16month old and at night he refuses to sit still. I was told with the young ones to get him a bed and show him where to lay while we are all in the family room.

I did this, but lately he just wants to roam around the house and explore. He gets plenty of time outside playing and running (live on a horse farm) note: some days are limited but has at least a good two hours outside daily to run and explore. Is taken out in the am, afternoon, evening and once before bed to use the restroom.

So I have been gettin a little more stern with him while he is in the house and making him lay down either on his bed or the floor (its carpet) He has a chew toy in the house and fresh food and water.

Am I doing the right thing by showing him where to lay??? Or am I doing it wrong??? What else should I be doing??

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think its great that you have a specific place for your dog, some times the consistency helps, but sometimes physical exercise isn't enough to settle them down. Why don't you try some mental stimulation before down time, I found that tired dickson out more when he was younger than running around did.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
None of my dogs want to go and lay on the dog bed over there. My dogs get ample exercise, physical and mental. I then make sure they each get snuggle, petting and one on one time. Then they are content to be told that their time is up and to go lay down. But the majority of the time we are all up on the same couch in a pile.

So is the dog getting some snuggle/petting time? Or are you saying he doesnt know how to relax? Dobies are also velcro meaning they want to be right next to you or better yet on top of you! hehe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think its great that you have a specific place for your dog, some times the consistency helps, but sometimes physical exercise isn't enough to settle them down. Why don't you try some mental stimulation before down time, I found that tired dickson out more when he was younger than running around did.
Ideas on mental stimulation?? I am sorry if I sound like an idiot but its all new for me.

None of my dogs want to go and lay on the dog bed over there. My dogs get ample exercise, physical and mental. I then make sure they each get snuggle, petting and one on one time. Then they are content to be told that their time is up and to go lay down. But the majority of the time we are all up on the same couch in a pile.

So is the dog getting some snuggle/petting time? Or are you saying he doesnt know how to relax? Dobies are also velcro meaning they want to be right next to you or better yet on top of you! hehe
Oh yes! He gets loved on in the morning, and when we sit down for the evening he makes his round and me and my family each love on him mabye totaling a whole 30min to an hour. He is an only child (only dog) He is allowed to lay on the couch with us and sometimes does, the trainer told me that I needed to show him what he is supposed do when its chill time at night? Is this wrong advice??

As of this moment he is laying on his bed, however I had to tell him 4x before he stayed for more then 5min.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Having a dog settle at night is ok, as long as they've been exercised. Sam's bed is right next to me, by our couch. If he gets up and wanders around, it's no big deal for us. Sometimes he'll walk downstairs to the family room but returns a few minutes later, usually gets a toy.

As long as he's not getting into anything he shouldn't, wandering for a few minutes is ok with me. He may need to stretch his legs or "check" things out. :)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Ideas on mental stimulation?? I am sorry if I sound like an idiot but its all new for me.

Oh yes! He gets loved on in the morning, and when we sit down for the evening he makes his round and me and my family each love on him mabye totaling a whole 30min to an hour. He is an only child (only dog) He is allowed to lay on the couch with us and sometimes does, the trainer told me that I needed to show him what he is supposed do when its chill time at night? Is this wrong advice??

As of this moment he is laying on his bed, however I had to tell him 4x before he stayed for more then 5min.
Quite frankly, it has never occurred to me that dogs are supposed to settle down and chill in the evening. What is it that your dog is doing that you would rather he not be doing? For what purpose have you instructed him to be on his bed right now? My dog is pretty busy in the evening (and she is not a pup)... I throw toys and play tug while I watch TV... when I am not doing that, I have a Doberman in my lap. Actually, my dog doesn't even have her own bed... if she did, it wouldn't get used at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quite frankly, it has never occurred to me that dogs are supposed to settle down and chill in the evening. What is it that your dog is doing that you would rather he not be doing? For what purpose have you instructed him to be on his bed right now? My dog is pretty busy in the evening (and she is not a pup)... I throw toys and play tug while I watch TV... when I am not doing that, I have a Doberman in my lap. Actually, my dog doesn't even have her own bed... if she did, it wouldn't get used at all.

He just walks around and runs up and down the stairs. Its like he doesnt know what he wants to do and that is when my trainer said when he looks like that to either play, or show him where to lay down...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
He just walks around and runs up and down the stairs. Its like he doesnt know what he wants to do and that is when my trainer said when he looks like that to either play, or show him where to lay down...
I'd vote for play, and I am sure so would he LOL!

When I am done being bothered by spitty things being placed in my lap to toss or tug, I simply inform my girl "That's enough" or "All done"... she knows she can't convince me to continue to play if I've said I'm done, and she then hops up on the couch and curls up on me.

I do have a "Go away!" also, that sends her to settle anywhere that I am not... but, that is reserved for Very Bad Dogs who are in Deep Trouble. It's probably been a couple few years since I have told her to go away.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
At 16 months old, you may have to up the exercise regimen. When Sam was that age, he was in obedience classes 2 nights per week and also out for walks twice per day. By the time evening rolled around, dude was ready to crash.

Does he have any Kong toys? Extreme Kong Dog Toy - Dog.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd vote for play, and I am sure so would he LOL!

When I am done being bothered by spitty things being placed in my lap to toss or tug, I simply inform my girl "That's enough" or "All done"... she knows she can't convince me to continue to play if I've said I'm done, and she then hops up on the couch and curls up on me.

I do have a "Go away!" also, that sends her to settle anywhere that I am not... but, that is reserved for Very Bad Dogs who are in Deep Trouble. It's probably been a couple few years since I have told her to go away.
I will try this:p

At 16 months old, you may have to up the exercise regimen. When Sam was that age, he was in obedience classes 2 nights per week and also out for walks twice per day. By the time evening rolled around, dude was ready to crash.

Does he have any Kong toys? Extreme Kong Dog Toy - Dog.com

I could start taking him with me when I run that might help (he just doesnt seem like he knows what to do when I run which is why I stopped taking them)

Yes I have seen them and bought them and he is scared of them. He loves ropes...

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I could start taking him with me when I run that might help (he just doesnt seem like he knows what to do when I run which is why I stopped taking them)

Yes I have seen them and bought them and he is scared of them. He loves ropes...[/QUOTE]

I personally do not jog. I tried it for 3 days when Kyrah was old enough to up her exercise. I thought I was going to die. LOL I went out and bought a bike for us.

Hubby jogs with Kyrah and in the begining he said he felt like she was going to trip him. I told him he had to practice with her and I told him some of the commands I used for her. Things improved with practice. Now he doesnt jog as often but when he does he enjoys taking her with him.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Atlas has always been like that in the evening at that age. Its like he has to get that last energy out before bed time so that he can go to sleep.

Have you ever seen little kids before they go to bed? They do the same thing as well and get more hyper it seems as well (mainly boys). Must be in the gene codes.:) (of the young)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
This exactly!

Sounds like he just wanders around on the farm. You need to be doing things with him, throwing the ball, interacting with him. I would start doing daily obedience with him. Mental and physical activity.

Also I find what helps is a routine, so they start to understand that by night time they need to slow down. However like mmctaq my guys are pretty active at night.

Do you have a crate? Sometimes a crate with a cover and a good bone might help for him to settle. But make sure he has had a good amount of exercise, and that doesn't mean at 2 in the afternoon. A good run a while after dinner will help!

·
Registered
99 Posts
The running up and down the stairs is something my girl does only when she's frustrated and hasn't had enough exercise or mental stimulation.

Also remember that just the running around isn't enough. He needs to be mentally challenged. You can find some great tricks online to teach your dog. Try and set a goal of teaching 1 or 2 tricks a day.

I was also given some GREAT advice which really helps with this. At least an hour before bedtime, make sure its all down time. No playing, not running around, just chilling. A dog that gets hyper before bed will never settle.

Hope this helps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts