Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have rehomed a 16 week old doberman girl. Only had her for a week now and everything seemed OK, but today I noticed some discharge from her genital area. It looks a bit gooey. I only noticed as she had like a dangling booger in between the back legs, then after dabbing with the paper towell I realised it is a bit white, yellow green shade colour. It doesn't seem excessive, but I noticed her cleaning herself up every now and then. Any idea what that could be? I am pretty sure she is a tad too young for her first heat.

Please help.

·
Premium Member
11,449 Posts
Hello,

I have rehomed a 16 week old doberman girl. Only had her for a week now and everything seemed OK, but today I noticed some discharge from her genital area. It looks a bit gooey. I only noticed as she had like a dangling booger in between the back legs, then after dabbing with the paper towell I realised it is a bit white, yellow green shade colour. It doesn't seem excessive, but I noticed her cleaning herself up every now and then. Any idea what that could be? I am pretty sure she is a tad too young for her first heat.

Please help.
Probably vaginitis--but you might want to have your vet take a look at it to make sure that's all it is.

dobebug

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know what you are describing well. I first noticed the same discharge with my girl when she was about 2. Ive only had boys previous so I was a little, ok a lot, freaked out and ran her into the vet immediately. No infection, PH balance was a little off but nothing unusual and was told to keep my eye on it. Well it would come and go until I changed her diet. It turns out that she is very sensitive to getting too much daily protein. I switched to a salmon/rice kibble and it cleared immediately. I can now even induce it when she gets too many meat based treats. I'm not saying that this is absolutely the cause in your girls case, I would still take her in, but your description fits what I experienced to a T.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what you are describing well. I first noticed the same discharge with my girl when she was about 2. Ive only had boys previous so I was a little, ok a lot, freaked out and ran her into the vet immediately. No infection, PH balance was a little off but nothing unusual and was told to keep my eye on it. Well it would come and go until I changed her diet. It turns out that she is very sensitive to getting too much daily protein. I switched to a salmon/rice kibble and it cleared immediately. I can now even induce it when she gets too many meat based treats. I'm not saying that this is absolutely the cause in your girls case, I would still take her in, but your description fits what I experienced to a T.
Thank you so much! That does make a lot of sense! I do have an appointment with the vets this Saturday just to be on the safe side and to see how she is in general being a new member of the family that we are just getting to know better. The discharge got even less now, barely there, but I still want to make sure the coast is clear. I have never had a female before so this is a totally new territory for me 🤭

1 - 4 of 4 Posts