Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
At 7 weeks old, I got a new doberman puppy. He's a red male, and we will not be cropping his ears. We had a question about his adult size. At 7 weeks old, right when we got him, he was about 9.5 pounds. Right now, a a little over 13 weeks, he is 25 pounds. From what I have seen, that seems a little on the small side? Now I know, that parent weight is a big factor in his adult weight but both of his parents, (also red dobes) were on opposite sides of the spectrum. His mom, was about 65 pounds, and his dad, was about 105. So we really have no idea what to expect lol. There were 9 puppies total in his litter, and we picked him out when he was 4 weeks old, and seemed to be the calmest of them all, as every time we visited he was sleeping :) so far an amazing puppy, we are just curious if anyone has any guesses? As far as food, he is getting fed 1 cup three times a day of authority large breed puppy food. Looking forward to some help! Thanks so much!

/Users/lyriccooper/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2016/12/10/20161210-143803/kDeWbGE5Q46C1BOL31FEJg/thumb_IMG_0965_1024.jpg

·
Got mutt?
13,765 Posts
Welcome to DT.

Personally, I'm more concerned with what they look and feel like, rather than their actual weight. A healthy pup should have a nice covering over the ribs, but not so much that you can't easily feel them. If his spine and hip bones are prominent, he's too thin.

And his sire is... um.. big. If that is his confirmed weight I'm wondering if maybe he is oversized? Breeding two dogs on opposite ends of the size spectrum very rarely results in medium sized puppies. They will generally take after one or the other parent.

Did his breeder agree with your assessment that he was the calmest one of the litter? Since the breeder is with them a lot more than a prospective owner, what they see and what the prospective owner see are frequently two entirely different things.

·
Registered
318 Posts
There really is no telling, as pups grow in all kinds of funky ways at different times and it varies from pup to pup. It's partially safe to assume he will be somewhere in between his sire and dam, and being male being a little on the upper side of the scale. I got my pup out of a bad situation when he was five weeks old and he was the runt, he weighed only 3.9 lbs at six weeks. He is also half GSD but if the lady is to be believed his mama was the shepherd and she was 75 lbs and the dad was the Dobe on the large side like your little mans sire. He will be a year old next month (already!!!) and he is a solid 85 lbs, I figure he still has some filling out to do before he's completely done too. Let your baby be a baby and enjoy him no matter what size he is :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There really is no telling, as pups grow in all kinds of funky ways at different times and it varies from pup to pup. It's partially safe to assume he will be somewhere in between his sire and dam, and being male being a little on the upper side of the scale. I got my pup out of a bad situation when he was five weeks old and he was the runt, he weighed only 3.9 lbs at six weeks. He is also half GSD but if the lady is to be believed his mama was the shepherd and she was 75 lbs and the dad was the Dobe on the large side like your little mans sire. He will be a year old next month (already!!!) and he is a solid 85 lbs, I figure he still has some filling out to do before he's completely done too. Let your baby be a baby and enjoy him no matter what size he is :)
Thank you! and yes, we enjoy him no matter his size! just curious to see what others experience was with their dobermans growth!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Rosemary, the dad was really big! And yes, he was one of the calmest ones in his litter according to breeder. And thats what I was thinking, as far as him being on either side of the spectrum. Thats why we've been so curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol yes, except both were on the opposite sides and pushing the breed standard, thats why we have been so curious! Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts