Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I was wondering if I should expect my dobe to grow more or that's about it. He is all SA line 11mo, 77lb and 26.7 inches. I know every dog grows at their own pace and it depends on genetics. I also know that after a year they keep growing but not that much in height and that they might have growth sprouts. But.. well I am wondering ha ha

I had posted before about his GI issues, when he was 6mo to 8mo he had parasites and lost a lot of weight. By 9 months he was completely recovered, he had a growth sprout and went from 60 to 77 pounds plus one inch taller. Now he is healthy, he had a loooot of studies done, X-rays, EPI, thyroid, etc.. everything fine.

From 9 to 11 mo he haven t put any more weight or height. His dame is small, and his grandfather is just in the smaller spectrum of males. I know him, I had touched him in a show while helping his handler and he is very muscular and compact. His sire is aprox 28.5 inch an 90lb (I haven't seen him in person) but I know he had a height growth sprout at 2yo.

My vet ( who also is judge and and breeds dobermans, knows his lines and parents) expects him to be 27.5 inches and 80-85 lb but IDK since he haven't changed in the last 2 months though he is more muscular and his head is bigger. Should I re check thyroid?

Thank youuu :)

·
Premium Member
14,502 Posts
I've definitely had dogs who had growth in spurts and there is never telling who is through growing until they are closer to 2 years than your boy is. One of my dogs went for nearly 5 months before he finally had another growth spurt which got him from being the smallest dog in 9-12 classes to his finished size in 12-18 and who then ended up at 27-3/4.

While I think your boy is looking much more mature than he did when he had all of the problems which since resolved I don't think he looks like a dog who has finished growing.

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
8,811 Posts
Hi RR

That's where McCoy was at that age, and he ended up exactly where your vet thinks your dog will be. As he got older, I opted to keep McCoy at 80 or just below. For me, that is the absolutely perfect size for a Doberman male. My son had a beautiful boy who was always tryin got creep above 95lb. And we had another whose best weight was between 65 and 70lb. Both were handsome dogs. But for general appearance and livability, that space right in between suits me as ideal.

All that aside... IMO, your boy is strikingly handsome just the way he is!

John L
Portland OR

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello everyone,

Thank you John L, dobebug and princess Bella for sharing your thoughts. I feel much better having discuss this issue with people who has experience. Now that I had read your stories I am sure he will have another growth sprout, my breeder and handler said the same thing. I was afraid that as I couldn't address his illness quickly I had made him have some permanent development problem and I felt guilty.

Another thing: He has tight cat feet but weak pastterns when runs or he is like in a resting while standing position.. genetics, maybe lack of movement, not much I can do.
I have a big yard where he runs freely with my other dobe and a pool but he is a bit afraid of the water, so I can't force him to swim. I make him eat his kibble from my hand while he is stacked and we have daily walks not long distance just exploring the neiborhood very slowly.
For two months he has been on multivitamins, probiotics, GI enzymes and something for his liver. He really needed al those things, he was in a bad shape. But from today he will continue taking only probiotics.
Also I had been giving him GlycoFlex Plus (contains vitamin C) and CollagilePet (since two weeks ago) . Do you guys think its a good thing to continue supplementing him with this two things for his pastterns and whole body? I am afraid the collagen can make him more lax. Maybe I should give him calcium? I haven't yet discuss this with my vet nor my handler. My breeder says it could help him now that he is not a puppy anymore. I have never gave him calcium.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts