Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my dobermans ears cropped at 14 weeks of age (finally had the money saved up after buying him to have them cropped) and they still haven't stood up. My mothers dobermans ears stood up just fine (same litter) but mine didn't and I am the one that posted mine (she didn't just let them do their thing).

After almost 2 months of posting I stopped due to them rubbing his inner ear raw from playing with the other dogs. So I stopped posting them and he is now 11 months old. They only stand when he is in full blown sprint and sees something he is interested in while he runs then once he stops they fall back down.

It doesn't bother me too much but I met a guy that breeds show pitbulls and he said I can take an empty toilet paper roll and cut the cardboard into a medium sized triangle then super glue it to the inside of his hear where it folds at. He said it will come off in about two weeks and is a little safer than posting in my situation with 2 other dogs. He said do that for about a month and his ears should stand (if they are going to) because he has a lot of room to grow because his head hasn't even started filling out yet.

Anyone know of this or had experience with it?

·
Registered
16,038 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My vet said just wait until he is two years old and if they are meant to stand they will. That sounds iffy to me but he cut them perfectly even and he cut my moms doberman completely even also so he cropped them very well.

His inner ear has a flap the I can push up but I don't know if I am to push that up while I post them or super glue them or leave it how it is while I post them or super glue them. It is shown in one of the pictures. Another problem is he constantly folds his ears back like a fighter planes wings so it makes it difficult to post or get to stand up on their own when he gets excited or feels me messing with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,038 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Little Rock, Arkansas. That would be great, if his ears can't stand even after posting it isn't a big deal cause they look cute even down and they don't look like a coon hound because his ears were massive, at 6 weeks his ear was as big as my hand so he was dumbo of the litter.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Sebastian,

To get help, you need to click on the link provided in Linda H's post. Then you need to read it until you find someone at least kinda sort near you.

If you don't find someone really close, call someone not-so-close to see if they know anyone closer to you.

Do let us know who you have found to help you, please! We love to hear how things turn out!

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
My vet said just wait until he is two years old and if they are meant to stand they will. That sounds iffy to me but he cut them perfectly even and he cut my moms doberman completely even also so he cropped them very well.

His inner ear has a flap the I can push up but I don't know if I am to push that up while I post them or super glue them or leave it how it is while I post them or super glue them. It is shown in one of the pictures. Another problem is he constantly folds his ears back like a fighter planes wings so it makes it difficult to post or get to stand up on their own when he gets excited or feels me messing with them.
For the love of Pete! DO NOT use super glue on those ears!

Mole foam perhaps or some breathe right strips and skin bond (both are made for skin).

My opinion is, this is not an ear crop, this is an ear removal. Sorry to be harsh but good grief, you have a vet who has no idea how to crop ears properly nor how to recommend any appropriate aftercare.

If I were you I would leave the ears as is and not put your dog through any additional trauma. They look healed fine but they have no proper base to help them stand and they are not shaped correctly. Even if they were, at 11 months with them folding like they are I would highly doubt they will stand correctly. Who is your vet, anyway?

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
For the love of Pete! DO NOT use super glue on those ears!

Mole foam perhaps or some breathe right strips and skin bond (both are made for skin).

My opinion is, this is not an ear crop, this is an ear removal. Sorry to be harsh but good grief, you have a vet who has no idea how to crop ears properly nor how to recommend any appropriate aftercare.

If I were you I would leave the ears as is and not put your dog through any additional trauma. They look healed fine but they have no proper base to help them stand and they are not shaped correctly. Even if they were, at 11 months with them folding like they are I would highly doubt they will stand correctly. Who is your vet, anyway?
Thanks Elaine, I totally missed the kind of glue he was saying he would use. I know he was told skin bond up above and don't know why he didn't catch that. Super glue would be a disaster.

I wouldn't fool with them at this point either myself, but if he wants to try I thought he deserves whatever help we can give, even if it is advise to leave them alone. There are some people around Little Rock I think.

Sebastian if you do find some help try giving him glucosamine during the process also. Try around 1000mg twice a day after his meals.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
Thanks Elaine, I totally missed the kind of glue he was saying he would use. I know he was told skin bond up above and don't know why he didn't catch that. Super glue would be a disaster.

I wouldn't fool with them at this point either myself, but if he wants to try I thought he deserves whatever help we can give, even if it is advise to leave them alone. There are some people around Little Rock I think.

Sebastian if you do find some help try giving him glucosamine during the process also. Try around 1000mg twice a day after his meals.
I think you are being very kind.....:)

Go look at those ears again....do you think they will ever stand? I think sometimes the best help is to just be honest and call a spade a spade.

I cannot believe a vet did those ears. No wait.....I will believe anything can be done for money. I am sure that vet has a whole line of BYB'ers lining up for his/her services. It makes me shudder that a dog was put through a surgery for that result. Sorry OP, I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but as a breeder it pains me to no end to have a person like you, and your dog, stuck in this predicament.

Regards,

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
I think you are being very kind.....:)

Go look at those ears again....do you think they will ever stand? I think sometimes the best help is to just be honest and call a spade a spade.

I cannot believe a vet did those ears. No wait.....I will believe anything can be done for money. I am sure that vet has a whole line of BYB'ers lining up for his/her services. It makes me shudder that a dog was put through a surgery for that result. Sorry OP, I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but as a breeder it pains me to no end to have a person like you, and your dog, stuck in this predicament.

Regards,
Well I did look at them several times. I thought there might be enough to work with. It is hard for me to judge the length of ears when they are hanging like that, for some reason. I guess cause I just don't have that much recent experience with cropping. I don't really know what my problem is. The one where he is holding the ear, yes, that looks like there is not much left at all, then I get to looking at them hanging down the side of the head. So that is why I thought maybe someone could look at them and work with them or maybe advise not to go any further.

But, yes, sometimes the best thing is to just be blunt with the truth.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
awwww, i see, you have been mainly just glueing them over the head, rather than posting

they would need lots of work by someone with oodles of experience with cropped ears and then not sure if they would stand after all that.

I agree with just leaving them be now. Too bad he went through an operation for nothing. Everytime puppies go under anesthesia they are at risk of complications, some even dying.

Ear cropping should not be taken so lightly by anyone.

Hugz to your Boy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never glued them to his head or taped, my mom did with her doberman just taped them to the top of her head and somehow hers turned out very pretty and never fall. I just posted mine for about a month to a month in a half until I noticed his inner ear was getting rubbed raw due to playing with my two other dogs (samoyed and a lab/pit mix) so I figured I would rather him grow good motor skills and healthy dog relationships than keep him seperate from the other two dogs.

He has a medium crop and has about the ear size of a husky it's not a military it's just that piece inside his ear folds down which makes it look short when I push it up towards his skull it creates a cup motion and raises his ear (same on both sides). I don't want to get recropped or anything just wondering if posting could help atleast make it a floppy erection instead of straight fold down. Another thing is he rarely does the alert ear movement where they move up and try to stand, he always has them folded back like I said a fighter jets or something like when dobermans get the lovey dovey petting.

His stats are he is weighing about 85 pounds and is still very lean, when standing on his back paws he comes to my face and I am 6'0 I am not sure how many inches to his shoulders or anything like that. His head is still kinda small and narrow (his parents were normal dobe size heads) like a puppy so I am hoping by posting them and his head growing/filling in will help with hopes of maybe standing if dedicated posting is started.

I suck at posting (mostly because my fiance is in nursing school so I do it by myself) but the molefoam seems like a good idea and could maybe be reused?

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
but the molefoam seems like a good idea and could maybe be reused?
Nope, can't reuse it and you will see why once you use it. Did you find anyone close on the list?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not yet the closest was Houston Texas which is about a 5 hour drive. But I will be patient. On the inner ear question when I post or molefoam do I push the cartilage towards the skull or just put the stuff ontop of it? Or is that irrelevant and just focus on the base wrapping Round it? Which part of the ear actually makes it erect?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
this is a question for my knowledge bank (might also help the OP)..

is it possible for ears to stand this late in the game, after the cartilage has been shaped to the current position (facing downward in the OPs instance)?

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Follow the instructions I gave you. I guess you could fold it over out of the way. Whatever you have to do to glue the molefoam on with skin bond. Get it at the pharmacy or over the internet. I think this was a piece that should have been reduced when the ears were cropped.

I really didn't have much luck with molefoam to be honest with you. It just didn't stay on the ear for very long even with skin bond. Be careful with the skin bond, it drips and strings everywhere. Don't get it in the dog's ear canal.

Amazon.com: Skin Bond Latex Adhesive: OSTO-BOND SKIN BONDING CEMENT, 4 OZ. CAN W/BRUSH: Health & Personal Care

1 - 20 of 26 Posts