Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,130 Posts
Xylitol... Yeah, the one product on Mel's list that has always stood out to me is peanut butter. One always hears about folks treating their dogs with pb. It is frequently commented on as something to put into kongs and the like. Yet, very rarely does anyone make a disclaimer to the effect that Xylitol is a common sweetener in peanut butter. It is sometimes found in products with the claim: "No Sugar Added". Also, Xylitol can be listed as a "Natural" ingredient.

Fortunately, these days there are only 5-6 brands on the US market that use Xylitol and they are not the most common brands such Jiff or Skippy. Still... The only way to be sure, is to read the ingredients. In my case, the peanut butter that I buy has only one ingredient listed. Peanuts.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
Yeah, John--I'm a self confessed peanut butter snob--I buy Adams--and buy the kind that doesn't have salt added and that isn't pasturized so you have to stir it--actually I buy the kind that has chunks of peanuts in it and they can't pasturize it. All of the years I was in California I bought the local equivalent-- Laura Scudders Old Fashioned Peanut Butter (Chunky).

dobebug

21 - 21 of 21 Posts