Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else ever experienced a 10 week old doberman puppy growling and barking at people? Just a couple examples. Every time we walk out the front door and the neighbors are out her hair stands up and she starts growling and barking like crazy. If we approach them she might growl a bit as she is sniffing but will eventually start licking and being friendly. If anyone happens to be walking on the sidewalk or anything like that it is the same thing. I just have a hard time feeling like this is normal puppy behavior. She did not exhibit any of these behaviors whatsoever at the breeders where we visited often while she was growing up so I have no clue where this is coming from. She has had no scary or scaring experiences at all and was very well socialized and handled often as a baby. All of her encounters have been very positive. And just for a little background on her pedigree...she is out of CH. Trumps Mercedes V. Pantheon and CH. Pamelot's Shrek. I know the dam very well and she is a fabulous and sweet temperament. I have not met the sire but he is said to have a fantastic temperament as well. I was very excited about this breeding because she is an Agador grandbaby who I love. I am just very concerned about the behavior she is exhibiting right now. I have never seen a puppy her age act like this and I hate to see her so up in arms about people passing all the time. I much prefer the puppy jumping out of his skin to meet and greet which is how her mother is. Is the a phase that might pass as she gets older?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
Very strange behavior for a dog who hasn't had any bad experiences. I don't know the breeder where she came from, but it sounds like you did your research. What did your breeder have to say about the behavior? Are they able to offer any advice or support?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
I'd talk to the breeder but I agree the behavior is concerning.
It sounds like she has some fear issues but not being there it could be something else.

I would spend a lot of time sitting with the puppy and gaining her trust. It maybe that she doesn't know you yet and is fearful. It would concern me too. Let us know what she says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,247 Posts
It is very normal behavior for a puppy that is on alert. It is not a bad thing the puppy just needs lots of socialization and training. I hope you are enrolling in a puppy class. I cna't tell you how beneficial it is for someone who does not understand the drives of a protective breed especially.

When she starts barking you have to let her know that you will handle things and she doe snot have to worry. So tell her to settle and ask her to sit or keep her focused on you. If she barks again say no lets go meet them and take her to them to build her confidence and to help teach her that it is not acceptale to go off once you have told her to settle.

It is a puppy thing and not to be alarmed at. If I were you I would also discuss it with your breeder - she should have given you some good insight into the temperament of this breed and her lines particulary. She should also give you some good advice on how to handle it. But don't make a big deal out of it because it is not. She is a puppy alerting you to new people - Now just teach her that once she alerts she is to calm down and follow your happy confident lead.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,910 Posts
It is not abnormal behavior at all - it is fairly typical for a Doberman puppy IMHO.

She is a bit scared at this young age, and that is her defense mechanism - lots of socializing and exposure to all kinds of situations will take care of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Puppy Development

The link above is a good article on the critical periods and you can google it to get more information.

Thank you for the link!

And thank you everyone for the input. It is so nice to be able to bounce things off different people when I have a worry or concern! We just got in from being outside and working on not going crazy at everyone that walks past. Her breeder is great as well and is helping me. Hoping lots and lots of socialization will help her. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,449 Posts
hmm that doesn't seem normal to me either for a puppy who has been socialized well and gets out and about. It would be worrisome, I'd contact the breeder and a great trainer to help.
 

·
Alpha SheepDog
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
When you go out the door, are you letting her go first?
Do you have a calming or reassuring word for her, when she first experiences something that might be fearful?
When you are walking and she sees someone and starts barking, what do you do?
 

·
KaliStormx3
Joined
·
8 Posts
My girl does it too
She's been doing it since she was 12 weeks old when I got her
It's completely natural for some to be more aggressive to people from far distances because they can get a good scent of them.
Females are normally more alert then males as well.
My will bark and growl at people walking by.
Majority of the time though, it's because she wants to play. :)
She's only shown her teeth at one person and it was this weird guy at the park who was trying to come near me.
She got a very bad vibe from him.
Other than that, my baby is the friendliest with almost everyone and other dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I'm split on this. On one hand (60%), I don't like to see a 10 w/o of any breed reacting like that. On the other (40%), all dogs are different and it should be something you can sort out in short order. When you head out, do you bring some high value treats to give to strangers to give to her? As others have said, socialize, socialize, socialize and train, train, train. Best to you and your new girl!

ETA...

I just realized someone resurrected a two year old thread. Hope it all worked out well for you!
 

·
Holier Than Now
Joined
·
22,475 Posts
My girl does it too
She's been doing it since she was 12 weeks old when I got her
It's completely natural for some to be more aggressive to people from far distances because they can get a good scent of them.
Females are normally more alert then males as well.
My will bark and growl at people walking by.
Majority of the time though, it's because she wants to play. :)
She's only shown her teeth at one person and it was this weird guy at the park who was trying to come near me.
She got a very bad vibe from him.
Other than that, my baby is the friendliest with almost everyone and other dogs.

Welcome to DT.

You seem to have been handed some myths about dog behavior, but stick around and read up--this is a great place for Doberman info :)

If your pup is hackling (check next time) she is afraid, not "protective."


She shouldn't be vocalizing at random folks walking by--it is the human's job to teach her what is a threat and what is not through proper socialization.

I'm split on this. On one hand (60%), I don't like to see a 10 w/o of any breed reacting like that. On the other (40%), all dogs are different and it should be something you can sort out in short order. When you head out, do you bring some high value treats to give to strangers to give to her? As others have said, socialize, socialize, socialize and train, train, train. Best to you and your new girl!

It's a two year old thread, with no activity since except that most recent post that bumped it. ;)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top