Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to some recent changes in my own life, I am no longer able to properly provide for the best Dobe ever. I've gone house to apt and no longer have a yard for her to play.

About her:

10 Months
Ears, Tail and Claws done
All shots and care done by Dr. La Bounty.
very well mannered
Great with kids and other dogs
Fully trained
house broken
potty and crate trained.
She loves car rides, cuddling, playing fetch, and the beach.
She is an incredible dog, and it hurts to let her go, but she deserves more than what i can give her.

My requirements to adopt her.

1. Must be stable - financially
2. A yard for her to run
3. She will not be left home all day and night
4. Must have owned a Dobe before
5. Time to spend with her

I have her large crate as well. There is NO fee, but I will heavily screen all interested parties.

Attachments

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
these dogs are pretty adaptable to change.............

I am sorry you feel you need to rehome her.

Life can change in the blink of an eye...........What if say in a month or more you move back to a place with a yard..............

Hugz to you and your girl. I hope the best for both of you.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Perhaps you could get up early and take her on a good walk for exercise. Then another when you get home. It is good to take a walk after eating, like maybe your evening meal. Then on weekends you could take her to the beach for good runs.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Just don't understand. If you had children n had to move into an apt would you give them away? These pups are fur children n not disposable. I'm sure all shevcarescaboutbis being with you.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
blkbmwm98 I don't know if a yard is your only issue alas I live in a place where my yard is a joke, my dogs won't even potty in it!!! I simply get up early and have dedicated time to walk my dogs, in reality it's better for you and your dog. I have lived in apartments with dogs as do many here. Its totally do-able.

I've had to move, shuffle and change, my dogs always adapted, they just want to be with you. They don't care about where you live. Plus if you have to walk, you stay in shape, think of it as a cheap gym membership!!!

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
Just don't understand. If you had children n had to move into an apt would you give them away? These pups are fur children n not disposable. I'm sure all shevcarescaboutbis being with you.

People's lives change. Adversity happens. Newsflash...it's happening all over the country. People losing jobs and homes.

No matter how much you love your dogs, sometimes life just gets you and then the RESPONSIBLE thing is to recognize when you are in over your head before things get bad and do something about it. Comparing dogs to children...sorry it doesn't cut it. They aren't children.

How about we give this person some help and advice and not be so critical and judgmental? The OP appears to be trying to do the best for the dog. I say let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes I agree they are not children. I guess what I was really trying to say is that owning a pet is a life long commitment. I do feel bad for the OP but I really believe a rescue organization is better equipped to screen potential homes or contact her breeder and see if they will take her.

I do apologize to the OP if I offended him/her.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I had to move from KC to Chicago for a year and a half. Had an apartment so we could no longer just open the door and let her out but we took her every place with us. We exercised her up and down the lake, took her in the car and walked around the neighborhoods. She just loved being with us.

If you still need to re-home your girl, you might want to speak to a Doberman Rescue in your area so they can really check out the new owners.

I do like your new owner requirements. If you don't go thru a rescue you might want to require that if the new owner has to ever giver her up, she be returned to you.

Good luck to you.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Is your dog's breeder known? Is he or she an ethical breeder? If so, I advise you contact them and see if they'll take the dog back or assist you with placing her properly.

I second the suggestion to contact a Doberman rescue group.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy resolution to this situation.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
I've done apartment living with a dobe (for more than 2 years). If anything, it brought us even closer together because I couldn't just shut him out in the yard to amuse himself, when I got an attack of the lazies :D I think he also got better runs because of it as we'd deliberately go to off lead places where he could really stretch out. (Instead of just the...oh it's a big backyard run for exercise. It's definitely doable if that is the only thing worrying you.

But if there's more to it than that, then I commend you for doing the hard thing for your dog. Please consider a rescue who ensure she gets the perfect home...she sounds adorable. Best of luck.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
got my dobe when i moved into a small apartment. She and i both got more exercise than when i moved into a home with a big yard. As long as the dog isnt barking while your gone, really, dobes have no problems with living in an apartment. Saph got walked twice a day for about 20 minutes the days i worked 12hrs and the days i was off we went for 3ish hours walking, hiking, whatever, we did everything we could together and loved it.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
Due to some recent changes in my own life, I am no longer able to properly provide for the best Dobe ever. I've gone house to apt and no longer have a yard for her to play.

About her:

10 Months
Ears, Tail and Claws done
All shots and care done by Dr. La Bounty.
very well mannered
Great with kids and other dogs
Fully trained
house broken
potty and crate trained.
She loves car rides, cuddling, playing fetch, and the beach.
She is an incredible dog, and it hurts to let her go, but she deserves more than what i can give her.

My requirements to adopt her.

1. Must be stable - financially
2. A yard for her to run
3. She will not be left home all day and night
4. Must have owned a Dobe before
5. Time to spend with her

I have her large crate as well. There is NO fee, but I will heavily screen all interested parties.
In looking at your pictures closer this dog appears to be a blue. You need to tell potential adopters that coat issues are very likely due to the dilution. If you are unaware of what I am talking about you can do some research on this site.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wish we lived closer but we're in Alabama. I would love to help you out by letting her romp and play with **** in our large fenced in back yard and then crash on the couch. I have been trying to find a female to set up play dates with and have been keeping a close watch on the Atlanta Doberman rescue page to see if any younger females pop up as I am considering rescuing a female companion for us.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
People's lives change. Adversity happens. Newsflash...it's happening all over the country. People losing jobs and homes.

No matter how much you love your dogs, sometimes life just gets you and then the RESPONSIBLE thing is to recognize when you are in over your head before things get bad and do something about it. Comparing dogs to children...sorry it doesn't cut it. They aren't children.

How about we give this person some help and advice and not be so critical and judgmental? The OP appears to be trying to do the best for the dog. I say let's give them the benefit of the doubt.
So very well said...thanks Elaine!

The OP says they're moving into an apartment...not all apartment buildings allow large dogs or dogs period so it may be that they are not able to take their dog with them.

Jan

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
I have a house and a large yard ;..both my dogs...my German Shepherd who passed on years ago and Sparky the Doberman/mutt...PREFERRED TO BE INDOORS ALL THE TIME
unless they saw a SQUIRREL through the glass sliding door...then they wanted OUT
but immmediately came back after squirrel was chased off
if you are fairly active...go to parks and walk around...consider keeping her---as they get older they get even more lazy....trust me ....my dog doesn't care one bit for our large yard...they want the air conditioning....

Reactions: ZenChari

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
oh and I do real estate--it is true most all commercial apartments do not allow what THEY call "vicious" dogs including Dobes

to get around that the thing to do is rent a privately owned condo =these are listed in the same websites as houses for sale==just look up "rentals"

1 - 20 of 32 Posts