Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or at least eating like he should in my opinion. I am feeding taste of the wild and i give him 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night. Its kind of a hassle to get him to eat. I have been supplementing his food with a scoop of vanilla ice cream melted and poured over his food each feeding but he eats until theres no more ice cream. I started the ice cream thing at the advice of a friend a little over a week ago. He ends up eating all of his food throughout the night and his dish remains somewhat full as he nibbles throughout the day. He is skinny, too skinny for me and its starting to worry me. A few passer bys in my neighborhood have stopped to admire him and pet and we discuss dobys and I have been asking this one person what she thinks about his skinniness, she says its normal cause he growing so fast. He is growing, he seems healthy, has allot of energy and plays normal with other dogs. Its just over the last month he's stopped scarfing down his food like he used to. I spoke to a local vet over the phone and they said its a normal thing for the breed. Am I paranoid or what? The last time he was wormed was at age 6 months. I am about to worm him again. I haven't noticed any irregularities with his bowel movements, no worms or any other foreign material in his poo. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Picky eaters are normal. I'd stop with the ice cream, you will only make it worse (unless you intend to do this for the next 10 years or so), plus that's a lot of unnecessary sugar and fat. :D

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
A.) Stop the ice cream, Give him an alotted time to eat (ex 10min) then pick it up. Just the kibble no toppings ext. is he eatting treats? If so back off on those and after he eats he can have them but not before.
B.) If he is to the point of alarmingly skinny a vet trip is in order. Alot of people tho find a fit lean dobe to skinny becuse there to use to seeing over weight dogs.

Good luck!

Reactions: Instant Noodle

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
too skinny for you might be OK for him right now. :)

is he neutered yet?

A lot of young intact Male doberman take some time to get back their appetitie after puberty.

Got any pictures of your boy?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Ripley (my male) stopped eating around the same age. It lasted a while, off and on until I decided to just go ahead and neuter him. I didn't top his food with anything extra yummy. By doing so, you're going to create a very picky dog. He was given a time frame in which to eat (10 minutes) and if he didn't, up it went.

Reactions: LVdobe and SpecialK

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I second the advice not to give him other foods when he refuses, unless of course he is alarmingly underweight and is not eating for medical reasons.

Rowan is intact and stopped eating with vigor around 9 months. He still continues to skip a meal here and there. If your boy is intact and you are concerned, I have heard that once they are neutered they get their appetites back and gain weight much easier.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
First I am going to recommend not feeding the ice cream because as others have stated it will create a picky eater. It's also bad for their teeth with all that sugar, my friend had to take her dog in and remove 4 teeth because they were bad from her feeding her to much sugar.

Aside from that my male Dobe was the same way, its harder to keep weight on a male doberman and there can be a couple reasons he he not eating aside from just growing up. I found out my boy was allergic to a few of the ingredients and so it was giving him an upset stomach and stopped eating.

Also do you rotate your food at all? If you fees the same flavor its easy for them to get bored of their food. You can rotate within the brand, you might also check to see if your bag of taste of the wild is part of their recall.

If you are feeding a lot of treats for Training I would just use his kibble instead. My pup gets bored with his food just sitting in the bowel so I bought a couple different puzzles that makes Odin work for his food and he absolutely loves it.

Males can also slow Down on eating if he smells a female in heat in the neighborhood. Before to deworm I suggest going to a vet for a general check up and maybe check his blood work and check his thyroid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First I am going to recommend not feeding the ice cream because as others have stated it will create a picky eater. It's also bad for their teeth with all that sugar, my friend had to take her dog in and remove 4 teeth because they were bad from her feeding her to much sugar.

Aside from that my male Dobe was the same way, its harder to keep weight on a male doberman and there can be a couple reasons he he not eating aside from just growing up. I found out my boy was allergic to a few of the ingredients and so it was giving him an upset stomach and stopped eating.

Also do you rotate your food at all? If you fees the same flavor its easy for them to get bored of their food. You can rotate within the brand, you might also check to see if your bag of taste of the wild is part of their recall.

If you are feeding a lot of treats for Training I would just use his kibble instead. My pup gets bored with his food just sitting in the bowel so I bought a couple different puzzles that makes Odin work for his food and he absolutely loves it.

Males can also slow Down on eating if he smells a female in heat in the neighborhood. Before to deworm I suggest going to a vet for a general check up and maybe check his blood work and check his thyroid.
So I'll stop the ice cream thing then. Good point on the sugar. Also great idea on switching the flavors around within the brand, I'll do that. And I did look into that recall about the salmonella, turns out the local shop where I buy mine doesn't receive theirs from the mill that had the recall. I even researched it myself to see if they were telling the truth and they were. I don't want to get him neutered because I honestly like the aggressiveness he has with his manhood still attached. Some will disagree, but after all he's my dog ;). I'll start the 10 min. rule with him tomorrow morning. I wonder how long it will take to get him used to that? I'll take some pics of him when its sunny out next. (I live in western WA, so it might be a while).

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
"aggressivness he has with his manhood still attached"

you are right, I do not agree. :)

Hugz to Rosco!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts