Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of all my online accounts, financial or otherwise, NONE require a 10 character password. Why does this site?
And if you fail the password after 5 attempts it locks you out??

Why is this ordinary dog opinion sharing site set up like its a high-security government website for the CIA?

·
Super Moderator
21,124 Posts
That change has been in effect for several years now....not sure if you remember when we all had to reset our passwords?

·
Big Lil pup
6,118 Posts
Hi Alan...

About 3 years ago VerticalScope, DT's parent company, was hacked. At that time all of our passwords were deactivated and new ones were assigned. As I never changed mine, I still have the same ridiculously long and complicated password they gave me.

Also, I am always logged in so I never use a password. I simply saved and stored it.

But yeah... Other than DT, my strictest access password requirement is 8 characters including at least: one numeral, one lower case letter, one uppercase letter and one special character. And that is for a site that has very sensitive financial information.

Go figure.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
ಠ_ಠ
6,562 Posts
And here I'm hoping they give us 2FA sooner than later.

·
ಠ_ಠ
6,562 Posts
Captcha is terrible. 2 factor involves an extra code, and since i'm already using code generators for everything else...

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
And here I'm hoping they give us 2FA sooner than later.
LOL... Usually, I am all for added security. Although I do have problems with Captchas. Basically, I am not 100% certain that "I am not a Robot".

Oh well...

John LichtwaR2D2t
Portland OR
I never can read those captcha number/letter things. I usually have to go through a couple before I get one that I even have a chance of reading.
Captcha is terrible. 2 factor involves an extra code, and since i'm already using code generators for everything else...
AIEEEEEEEE!!!! Stuffs fingers into ears and shuts eyes tight and repeats over and over--I AM A LUDDITE--help me!

Falnfenix--what on earth is 2FA? Hopeless minds want to know?

John (aka STJ and all the other psuedonyms you might be going as) Captcha's--what are captcha's????? And as for the robot things--I'm sure there is a master list somewhere and my name leads it--Here there be Robots. I evidently fail the test frequently (but I recently noticed some sites just take your word for it and if you check "no" they just let you into the site.

Mel, I often just give up on the things like four little squares of streets and ask you to click on those that have vehicles--I rarely get through one without whatever program it is decides I'm entirely to stupid to be allowed on the site.

I can't help it--if someone is asking about vehicles I figure buses, motorcycles and trucks all qualify--if they wanted to know how many cars were in their little pictures why didn't they just say "How many pictures contain cars?"

Falnfenx, again? Captcha? Is 2 factor the same thing as 2FA? Or something different? Code Generator? I recently got an invitation to add a 'code generator' to my app's--I had to get someone to explain what aps were--turns out I couldn't have gotten that 'ap' in any case since I don't have, don't wanna', ever again have--a phone that uses ap's--after the three years I had to live with a phone attached to me at all times day and night no matter where I was or what I was doing--I was so glad to be rid of it and anything like it I dropped it in the parking lot, stomped on it a couple of times and backed my truck over it as I backed out.

So since I willingly concede that I am a Luddite through and through and that I actually knew something about computers, hardware and software et bloody cetra--I now don't even speak the same language as the people to try (frequently) to teach me at least a little more--mostly what really happens is I wann'a go sit in a corner and suck my thumb.

Thank you for a reply in common English.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,819 Posts
On the principle that a picture is worth a thousand words—-

Captchas are things like these:

Only the ones I get somehow seem to look like this:

·
Got mutt?
13,601 Posts
Sometimes they are just a box to click, saying "I am not a robot"

2FA is two factor authentication. Some of the websites I use require both my password and then I have to enter another code that they email to me before it lets me sign on.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Ahhhhhh--Ladies, Mel and Rosemary,

I thank you from the bottom my heart. When I get pictures and/or words that I understand I do 'get' some of the stuff,

This is an area in which I'll never be accused of being a 'techie' but it would help to know somewhat more than I do about a lot of the stuff which now has it's own jargon which is understood by everyone's kids and grandkids. But not necessarily by me.

Rosemary--as it turns out I have a 2FA on the direct deposit payroll people for the vet clinic. Because I don't have or use a cell phone--it took me, our Human Resources person and both a supervisor at the Payroll people and a tech to get me signed up. First I couldn't get signed in. Then when the Human Resources guy at least got me signed in because of the no cell phone glitch (I am regarded as a glitch--not everyone can say that) and we had to involve both of the people at the payroll service--the tech said he couldn't finish the sign in because he had to have access to a cell phone to do a verification or to a computer (at the time I had the world's worse internet access and it was entirely erratic about working.

Ultimately they figured it out and I have a client name, a password and when I sign into the payroll companies site it asks if I have code I click no and the other choice of contact--telephone--I say yes and about four seconds later I get a voice on my land line that says this is your validation number-it is xxxxx and will expire in 5 minutes. This is your validation number xxxxx. This wouldn't have worked if I still had my old terrible internet--now I'm on a fiber optic line and it works all the time every time. I plug the number into the place on the computer that is asking for it and miraculously I get the information I wanted. One of the very irritating "improvements" the payroll company did was to stop sending copies of the information (taxes, gross amount, net amount, etc) when they paid me. It took almost six weeks though before we figured out why I couldn't do all these things on my computer.

And Mel--I hate those captchas--didn't know they even had a name. I've never gotten one the first time that I could read...the best I've ever done was click on the link that says to click there if you couldn't read the first one. Several tries later sometimes I manage to translate the giberish into letters but sometimes I give up and go do something productive like pulling weeds or raking leaves and sticks that the old cherry distributes year around.

Thanks again.

dobebug

·
ಠ_ಠ
6,562 Posts
Sorry dobebug, I was offline after 3 yesterday.

2FA - two factor authentication - is my preference. If you have a smartphone, you can download what's called a code generator and link it to various accounts. When those accounts prompt for the code, you open the generator and select the related code. Other websites will allow you to use email or texting to get your code. My workplace does it, banks do it, and lots and LOTS of websites are starting to incorporate it. It's a bit more secure and less frustrating than those "prove you aren't a robot" image tests.

Here's a website's tutorial on how to use authenticator software for their security setup. It's pretty similar across the board for websites which use it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts